LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i connect lakeshore336 with labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Can anybody tell me how can I connect Labview with lakeshore336? previously I was using with gpib serial after that we had changed our CPU.

Now the board does not have a PCI slot, so I connect it through an adapter of PCIe*1 to PCI. I can't get where is the problem, with an adapter or gpib cable or gpib card or with some software. can I connect with any other serial port? I am very new to LabVIEW setup.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,030 Views)

Do a Web search for "Lakeshore 336 LabVIEW".  You will find links from Lakeshore and from NI discussing how to use this Instrument with LabVIEW.  It appears that the instrument supports GPIB, USB, and Ethernet, so if you don't have a functioning GPIB card, you should still be able to connect to it with USB or Ethernet.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,995 Views)

do i need to remove the GPIB card and try with USB? because i tried them all its not detecting  any of them from software.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(1,989 Views)

You might follow the suggestions from the Manufacturer regarding LabVIEW ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(1,962 Views)

I tried but still, it's not working with gpib.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,935 Views)

@senaapati wrote:

I tried but still, it's not working with gpib.

first, verify that you have the 488 and VISA drivers installed. second, which manufacturer did you purchase your GPIB adapter/card from? NI, Keithley, Agilent, etc. all have their own drivers so you have to have the correct one. 

If you have the correct drivers installed, you should see the lakeshore device in NI MAX under Devices and Interfaces.  a simple *IDN? query should return the make/model of the device if it was built to current standards; use this as a test to ensure you're seeing the correct device.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,916 Views)

The card is from NI only. I run that IDN function with LabVIEW, but it's showing an error like this. the name previously was coming in terms of starting from INSTR....IMG_20200908_214751.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(1,913 Views)

@senaapati wrote:

The card is from NI only. I run that IDN function with LabVIEW, but it's showing an error like this. the name previously was coming in terms of starting from INSTR....

COM3 would be a generic serial port.  GPIB resource should generally begin with INSTR: as you stated (if you're not seeing that as an option, i would again look at drivers). 

sounds to me like you may be communicating with the wrong resource entirely.  you're getting an error with LabVIEW, but what about NI-MAX?  always confirm device communication via MAX as it tends to be more reliable.  Other option, is that your PCIe/PCI adapter is bad

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(1,907 Views)

I had checked it with one new adapter also, please suggest me some good PCIe to PCI adapter. and please tell me how to check the instrument in NI max. I am stuck with this problem for the last 3 months. Please help

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(1,889 Views)

Hi senaapati,

@senaapati wrote:

please suggest me some good PCIe to PCI adapter.

When you want to use this old PCI card (which card exactly? mind to provide the model number?) I can recommend to buy a new computer, made for industrial purposes! Then you can specify how many PCI slots you need in addition to some PCIe slots…

@senaapati wrote:

please tell me how to check the instrument in NI max. I am stuck with this problem for the last 3 months.

In those 3 months you should have had time to learn basics of LabVIEW and MAX usage…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,873 Views)