LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hibernation problem due to NI variable engine

Hello,
 I posted a problem some month ago that discribed a problem with hibernation since I'd installed LabView8.

The proble is still there. I hibernate my laptop and the longer I wait for waking up the machine again the longer it takes to wake up.
I found out that after I stopped the service "NI variable engine" everything is fine again.

I don't have DSC installed. So it's not the keyboard driver of DSC.

Regards.
Ronny
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,637 Views)
Hello Ronny,
I found on microsoft.com, that sometimes the hibernation do not work, or work not correct if the RAM is is to much defragmented.
Solution is to install the newest SP from Microsoft.

Are you shure that the variable engine causes this problem?

A colleague told me that there could be a problem with NI Time synchronisation and hibernation.
You can use this KB: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/E88F47DEECA6D0D186256BB300683C05?OpenDocument

Please let me know whether your problem still exist, because this post is very old, sorry for may late replay.

with kind regards,
Fabian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,603 Views)
Thanks for your answer!!!
I will try to test it again to be really sure that the variable engine sevice causes the problem. It will take some days.
Anyway, I did what your colleague told you and set some of the service to manual mode.

I will be back in some days.

Ronny
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,600 Views)
Hi,
I'm back.

I disabled these service that you colleague suggested. There was no change to the problem. I disabled the variable engine and hibernation worked fine. I enabled the variable engine and hibernation worked bad.
Just to remind you. The problem appears only if the toime between hibernation and waking up is several hours long (best over night).

So it's really hard to say that the varible engine causes really the problem but it seems that there's at least some conflict with the variable engine.

Best regards.

Ronny
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,590 Views)
How do you disable the variable engine?  I have similar problem.  Microsoft service patch doesn't work.
What version of LabVIEW causing the problem?

George
George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,582 Views)
Hi Ronny,

We haven't heard from you in a little while, so I was wondering if you're still encountering the same issue.  One suggestion that came up here was that if the shared variable engine service appears to be causing the delay, we might just be seeing a large number of libraries deployed.  To clean out the variable engine, you can open the Variable Manager from within LabVIEW by selecting Tools>>Shared Variable>>Variable Manager.  Once this loads, right-click on Local System and select Remove All Processes.  This will undeploy and remove all shared variable libraries and will require you to close and restart any running LabVIEW projects.  It may be the case that many unused libraries are still being deployed, which can potentially drag down your system performance. Give this a try and let us know if it helps.
Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,542 Views)
Hi Matt,
thanks for your answer.
I will try this and respond to you later on. Unfortunatelly (or fortunatelly :-)) I will be in the holidays for the next two weeks but I'm a little bit crazy and take my laptop with me.
I did what you told me but there is no "remove all processes" just "stop all processes" in the list.

Let's see whether it works or not.

Thanks for help.

Ronny
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,529 Views)
Hi I'm back again and almost forgot to write my new findings.
Now I disable the VariableEngine completelly and set the service to "manual start".
Now I have no more problems with the hibernation. It seems that this service really caused the problem. 😞

Thanks so far.

Ronny
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,449 Views)