LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hardware handshaking

Is it possible to get labview to do serial port hardware handshaking? Is it implemented automatically if availible, and if not how do you implement it if it is possible?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,781 Views)
Hello fellow yellow jacket,

NI-VISA supports hardware handshaking. The traditional serial vi's have some known issues and thus I recommend using NI-VISA anyway.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,781 Views)
Could someone provide me an example of a working communications using the serial port? I have tried simply running several of the installed vi's but i get a "VI_ERROR_INV_SESSION   The given session or object reference is invalid." error every time. I think it has something to do with the resource name, but I am not sure, since all I want to do is set up/read/print to/from com1, which seems to be the default resource name.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,781 Views)
Fixed it, thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,781 Views)
Chris,
can you tell me where to finds the issues on traditional serial vi's. I've always enjoyed using them.
Greetings, Patrick de Boevere
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,781 Views)
There are various options, depending on your application, as to which method of handshaking/flow control to use with your program. When configuring the serial port with Visa Configure Serial Port.vi, these options are selected under the flow control input. Please refer to the LabVIEW User's Manual for more information on these control options.

It is also important to remember to close the VISA sessions once communication has completed. This can be accomplished within the VI using VISA Close.vi. I would also recommend configuring LabVIEW to automatically close open VI sessions in case your application terminates abnormally or is aborted. To automatically close VISA sessions go to.. Tools>>Options>>Misc.

Jonathan Hildyard
Applications Engineer
National Inst
ruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,781 Views)