LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hameg power supply HM7044 ieee 488 (GPIB) device control

Dear All,

I have a power supply (Hameg HM7044) with a GPIB interface.It seems that there is no VI to control it in the HAMEG or the ni websites.

Since i am new to this kind of interface i have two questions.

-if i connect the device how do i know the address it is in.

-is there a general VI to interact with GPIB -ieee 488 devices?

thank you in advance,

thodoros 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,881 Views)

Well, there is a driver here but it is for RS-232 and for some stupid reason, they have password protected the VI. That should deserve a nasty message to them.

First, if you use an NI GPIB controller, you will get a program called Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX). As part of the installation instructions, you will do a 'Scan For Instruments'. This will return a list of GPIB addresses for all of the connected instruments. Second, the information for setting the GPIB address is going to be in the instrument manual. If you don't have a manual, get one because you can't do a thing without one.

To communicating to GPIB instruments, the recomended API is VISA. The majority of the time, all that you will need is a VISA Write and a VISA Read.

You can learn some of the basics at the Instrument Control Fundamentals page.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,878 Views)

thanks for the reply it was very useful,

it helped me start looking from somewhere.i found an example in labview examples called labview GPIB.vi or sth similar that worked fine.

cheers,

thodoros 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,856 Views)