LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gpib

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
The address of the controller is 0 - GPIB0.

The image just shows the first instrument - the one at address 16. Is the other instrument connected at the same time?

Did you connect and disconnect the cables to the instruments when they were powered on? That could damage them.

I thought that was just the number of the card?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 35
(848 Views)

No I have not unplugged them while the machine is still on. So I dont think that is the problem also I have tried out several cables and I still am having the same issue. If I have one of them connected to the gpib to usb it works it gets the readings fine or if I have a cable that goes from the keithley to my hp6060b battery cycler and then from there have that connected to the gpib/usb it reads both of the instruments. However if I try connected the two keithley together and then have it go to the computer it only sees one of them. So that is the part that I am getting lost on. 

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 35
(836 Views)
You can detect two instruments. There isn't anything wrong with the controller or the software. To me, that says there is a hardware fault with the second keithley.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 35
(833 Views)

I would be thinking the same thing but they both work when I attach just one or the other to the hp6060 then to the computer but when I put them together they dont seem to want to talk to each other or something.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 35
(811 Views)
This is the very first time you've said that you can actually communicate to the address 5 instrument. Is this something new or something you just never mentioned before?
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 35
(804 Views)

oh sorry probably did not mention it before I just barely tested it again. So here is the overall synopsis hopefully it makes sense. I have three machines that I am trying to daisy chain together and then connect it to my computer using a gpib/usb cable. I have two keithley 2000 multimeter that I am trying to use to get temperature readings and an hp6060b as well. When I have one keithley connected with the 6060 I get readings the address to the keithley is 16 the 6060 address is five. I then switch to the other keithley and have its address to 16 and have that connected to the 6060. Again it works fine I get readings from both the keithley and 6060. However when I try to connect the two keithley 2000 together with the 6060 and change one of the addresses of the keithleys from 16 to 6 and leave the other one alone it does not work. So break down address wise

Keithley 1: address 16

keithley 2: address 6

hp6060: address 5.

It only seems to see the 16 ond the hp6060 but not keithley 2 and I have tried switching it on both machines and I still get same result. Hopefully that all makes sense.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 35
(799 Views)
I'm done. You first said the address of the second keithley was 5 and now you say it is 6. Your image of MAX does not show the hp instrument at all. This is just too confusing to make any sense out of what you are doing.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 35
(795 Views)

@ichigo55 wrote:

oh sorry probably did not mention it before I just barely tested it again. So here is the overall synopsis hopefully it makes sense. I have three machines that I am trying to daisy chain together and then connect it to my computer using a gpib/usb cable. I have two keithley 2000 multimeter that I am trying to use to get temperature readings and an hp6060b as well. When I have one keithley connected with the 6060 I get readings the address to the keithley is 16 the 6060 address is five. I then switch to the other keithley and have its address to 16 and have that connected to the 6060. Again it works fine I get readings from both the keithley and 6060. However when I try to connect the two keithley 2000 together with the 6060 and change one of the addresses of the keithleys from 16 to 6 and leave the other one alone it does not work. So break down address wise

Keithley 1: address 16

keithley 2: address 6

hp6060: address 5.

It only seems to see the 16 ond the hp6060 but not keithley 2 and I have tried switching it on both machines and I still get same result. Hopefully that all makes sense.

It's probably time to steal - umm, I mean borrow - someone's Keithley.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 35
(774 Views)

Hi,

Did you try this link, it could be usefull if you are new starting to configure gpib instruments...

http://www.ni.com/getting-started/set-up-hardware/instrument-control/gpib-connect

How did you link your instruments.... ? When both are connected ?

BR,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 35
(756 Views)

I just figured it out. It had something to do with the order the cables where plugged in. Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 35
(735 Views)