LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first timelabview user wants to control lab instruements throught gpib??

hey,

I am an undergraduate student in my junior year. I am working in a research group at columbia universtiy for about 4 months.What theve asked me to do is that they have alot of lab instruments that they use..They want me to control them using gpib so that they can use them from labview and automate the testing process they use to test a silicon plasma waveguide they make..i have never used labview before and frankly quite lost..i need help and fast..if someone could point where i should start learning labview for the requirements i have it would be nice.. i downloaded the drivers for the machine but couldnt get them to run they are 3rd party drivers...how would i  install them as well...help is greatly appreciated. i am uploading the drivers for one of the machines i working on..

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,083 Views)

Here's a good starting point for LV:  http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/12302

Once you come to terms with the basics, try to talk to your simplest GPIB device and get it to answer a simple IDN (Returns instruments name) command.  Start with the shipping examples (Help > Find Examples...  Hardware IO > GPIB.

The rest depends on how complicated the testing process is that you wish to automate.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 2 of 4
(2,072 Views)

In fact I would go one step before the talking to the instrument through LabVIEW and that would be trying to talk to it through National Instruments' Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) which you will have to install to have access to the LabVIEW hardware drivers to talk to the GPIB adapter. If you can talk to an instrument through MAX then you will have confirmed correct cabling, addressing, etc., which is nice to know before trying to make software you have written work.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 3 of 4
(2,058 Views)

Once you get the hardware set up, you'll find it ridiculously easy to communicate with your instruemnts.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,029 Views)