LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filtfilt() filter in matlab and labview

I want to apply a low pass butterworth filter in labview based on matlab code i already have.But it seems to be more difficult then it should.This is the code I have in matlab:

----------------------

Wn=low_cutoff*2/20;

[fb fa]=butter(2,Wn,'low');

Data_LPF = filtfilt(fb,fa,intensity);

-----------------------

where low_cutoff and intensity are inputs.

I want to do the same in labview.

Option 1 is to Use a mathscript node and copy the exact code above and get the same results.

This is good, except the problem is right now I am testing both matlab and labview codes with a data file.

so I can adjust the number of data points being read in.

Since the filtfilt() in matlab needs a minimum input length of 3*filter order, I will need to pass it in at least 6 data points(filter order is 2). Right now I can control this, but ultimatley data will be coming in at various lengths, so it will not always be 6, and I get an error.

So my question is how can I do this using the labview vis, because I know they dont have a limit like this  on the input length?

I tried using Butterworth coefficients.vi, followed by IRR Filter.vi, but the results are not the same.

even the forward and reverse coefficients(fa and fb) are not the same.

Im not too good with all these filters so if someone could please help!!Smiley Happy

And I what the filter to be applied continuously, to all data coming in. That's why I set the init/cont value to TRUE.

In the attached vi, each case shows the various ways I have tried so far but still no luck : (

I tried reading this:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Signal-Conditioning/IIR-Filter-Someone-please-help-me/td-p/2427108

but what they recommend doesnt seem to work for me...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,939 Views)

Hey Dev,

Probably a simpler vi to use is the Filter.vi express vi. You can add it to your block diagram by opening the functions palette and going to Signal Processing>>Wfm Conditioning>>Filter.vi. It has the blue border around it. 

You can select the order and then sample that many values from your signal source before feeding into the filter. 

The other option is you add an input to the mathscript node so that you can pass in how many # of elements you want to filter and the filter order. Right click on the border of the mathscript module and select new input. The name will need to be the same as your variable defined in the script. Make sure to remove any assignments otherwise the value will update to the inscript assignment. 

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,866 Views)