From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fft of integer signal

This is a pretty stupid question that I'm sure has a really simple answer, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I have a source of 16-bit integer that I'd like to do a spectral analysis of and then, once I know a bit more about the signal, I'd like to filter it. However, all the analysis and filter .vis I can find have 64-bit real sinks and I can't find a conversion that work. Please help!

Thanks,
Brian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,447 Views)

If you connect it directly, you should get a coercion dot, but it should still work. What happens if you insert a "toDBL"?

Can you attach a simplified VI with some data?

Message Edited by altenbach on 07-27-2009 03:09 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,444 Views)

When I use a toDBL, suddenly the sinks become waveforms and it still doesn't work.

Attaching a simplified VI is difficult because the source is a .VI supplied by the manufacturer of a motor controller I'm using (Maxon Motors) that reads in data from the controller, and you're not likely to have it installed on your machine.

Thanks so much,

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,431 Views)

We LIKE simple answers.  (I know, the tough one make us look smarter but......)

post some of your code as previously suggested.  Coersion dots are not demons.  But, if you don't know what the coersion is it is wise to avoid the "ugly" ones.

Hmmmm..... For LV Feedback I think I'll post a suggestion for differentiating the colors of "lossy" and "safe" coersion dots.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,433 Views)
I tried with AutoPower Spectrum.vi, and it results in a red coercion dot as predicted by a previous poster.  Can you make a test case like this one?  You probably don't need to post the whole vi to debug this problem.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,416 Views)

Here's a few screen shots. Am I just using the wrong VI? Where do you get that power spectrum VI?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,393 Views)

This is not plain LabVIEW. You seem to be using an add-on (e.g. simulation module) or something similar.

I am not familiar with this. Are you sure you have an array?

Message Edited by altenbach on 07-28-2009 12:55 PM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,384 Views)
You don't have an array!  what does the help show when you scroll over the wire with the wire tool?  (it should show the data type information)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,368 Views)

Hi bcglaxer,

It looks like you are using the Control Design and Simulation Module.  Could you please post a snippet of your code causing the problem so it is easier to debug?

Thanks,

Marti C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
NI Medical
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,345 Views)

Posting the code is difficult because for some reason I can't save duplicate heiarchies (there are .vis in my code from outside vendors  that you won't have). I've posted this problem elsewhere, but wasn't able to find a solution.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=409327#M409327

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,324 Views)