LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error -604 by open registry key in Windows 7

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm running it at Windows7, and it works.

Do you have admin rights?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(3,884 Views)

Definitly I am, I can change or delect registry keys using Regedit.

Just now I did another try: After a new key was added (in regedit) manually, Some of the keys can be listed using Enum Registry Value Simple.vi (like ProductName, Pathname).However, I can not read the new key out using the same vi, not to say the one I was talking about.  

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(3,880 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wilburwu
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(3,863 Views)

Did this solve your problem? I am using a 32bit Windows. Defnitely 32bit LV. Still seeing the issue..

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(3,757 Views)

Great!!

The link in the "Solution" is not found.  Smiley Sad

Tech Advisor - Automation
LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,803 Views)

James@Work wrote:

Great!!

The link in the "Solution" is not found.  Smiley Sad

It's probably about the fact that several registry keys under Windows 64-bit have two seperate hives, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. And if you open the registry from an application it defaults to whatever bitness the application itself has. To access a specific one you have to specify that when opening the registry and the Open Registry Key VI has the "registry view" parameter for just that since at least LabVIEW 2009 or earlier.

Your registry editor is on a Windows 64-bit version also 64-bit, so sees the 64-bit view by default. The 32-bit view is put away there under the WOW6432Node key in the according main tree, This one is what LabVIEW sees when you open the registry from 32-bit LabVIEW without specifically requesting the 64-bit registry view.

So to summarize:

When you run a 64-bit version of Windows you have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion key which is only visible in a 32-bit application if you explicitedly open the 64-bit registry view and you have a

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion key that when you open the registry in default mode from a 32-bit application and access HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion will be read insted.

Did you get any knots in your brian cells from this explanation? Well you are not alone but this is how Microsoft in its infitnite wisdom decided to guarantee backwards compatibility when they went from 32-bit to 64-bit. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 16 of 17
(1,793 Views)

>Did you get any knots in your brian cells from this explanation?

I got past my issue and then read your response; it's was painful to read. Smiley LOL

Thanks for the extra details!! 

Tech Advisor - Automation
LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(1,781 Views)