From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does an executable require a license

If I create a compiled executable program for a customer, are there any National Instrument license requirements for the distribution of that program?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,251 Views)
If you are refering to strictly LabVIEW the answer is no.  If you compile to an executable you can freely distribute your programs as you see fit.  However there are some specific add-ons which do require run-time licenses such as the PDA module or the Vision libraries.  If you could be more specific as to all the software you have we can provide a more detailed and specific answer...

Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 11
(7,247 Views)

Hello,

no, you don´t have to do any license requirements with NI, if you share executables.

You have payed for the LabView Version with the application builder and the programms/executables you made is your ownership.

This is the reason for the application builder to share code without more costs.

Regards ThomasD

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,244 Views)
To be more specific, I have a program installed at a large corporate customer that also has other LabVIEW integrators as suppliers.  One of these integrators told my contact that they needed a license to run any LabVIEW programs developed by a third party.  I'm refering to a registered license to use the software, not a run-time license.  My contact didn't give me all the details, but I think the other integrator wants them to purchase a development license, or some kind of software license.  We do not require this of our customers.  I just want to make sure that what I am doing is on the up and up.

At this point, I don't have any programs distributed (at any of my customers) that include anything but the professional development system set of .vi's.  In the near future, I will be working on a project using Compact RIO and the FPGA module.  My next question is, will I require an additional run-time license for this scenario?

Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,240 Views)
The scenario doesn't change anything. As it's already been answered, you can freely distribute LabVIEW exe files without any fees and the end user can freely download the run-time engine if you don't include it with your installer. A LabVIEW license is only required to run in the development mode. If you want to license each instance of your own application, then that's a different matter and it's up to you to provide a license agreement and a method to enforce it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,228 Views)

Hello All,

This is all good information.  Thanks again to our LabVIEW community!

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,194 Views)

When I create an installer, an NI license agreement is automatically inluded.  It does not look like it is an apprpriate agreement for a developed application.  The installer lets you define your own agreement, but then it shows both - the NI agreement is always shown.  If I don't need to have one, how can I get rid of the default NI agreement?

Thanks,

Bill F

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(6,816 Views)
There is a knowledgebase discussing this exact issue.

How Do I Remove the NI License Agreement From My Built Installer?
Nick R
NI
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(6,779 Views)

Hi,

Does anyone know where this is expressed in a LabVIEW licencing agreement. I need to refer to it in the bibliography of my Thesis.

Thank you,

Donners
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(6,187 Views)

Hi

Does License is required for sound and vibration toolkit, if I am running application executable?

Thanks in advance.

Praveen

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,982 Views)