LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dll generated with function prototype in VI description causes issues.

Hi I've found what I can only assume is a bug in the Application builder dll generation.

I'm have written a dll in Labview containing several functions and am calling these functions from TestStand.

I have come to document the functions more fully and have added to the VI description the function name, a description and a list of inputs and outputs. This information then gets copied to the header file generated along with the dll as I wanted.

However, when I reload the prototype in my TestStand sequence step (or create a new step and call this function) the parameter list is empty and TestStand claims the function returns a void.

After a fair bit of palaver I have found the cause of the issue to be the fact that the name of my function in the VI description is proceeded by parentheses

e.g. functionName().

and Labview when generating the dll appears to treat this text as a function prototype itself with no parameters and no return type.

The workaround is to remove the parentheses and then everything is ok, but Labview shouldn't be looking in this VI description at all when generating the dll, should it? To me it should just copy VI description to the header file as a comment.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,958 Views)

Hi,

I've just tested it and I'm seeing the same behaviour. It's a bit strange.

It doesn't happen for me if the description uses a name for the function that is different from the vi name. I had a vi named 'Add.vi' and a VI description of 'Addition()'. This populated the input and output parameters correctly. However if the description was 'Add()' it failed (no inputs and a void output).

Nico

Edit: Placing parameters inside the parentheses of the description will populate those within TestStand.

--------
Nico
Systems Engineer

Certified TestStand Architect Certified LabVIEW Architect

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,917 Views)