LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

displaying a message to user

Solved!
Go to solution

I am comparing temperatures and want to display a message when the value reaches its set point of 80°C and when the user acknowledges the message, I just want the main VI to keep running. It is just a remainder for us to turn off the heater manually. 

I tried to do it with display message to user but I cannot change the value of the control without closing the message. 

Untitled.png

Is there a way a to do it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,446 Views)

Make a VI to show your dialog and make sure it is set to "Floating", not "Modal".  You will then be able to edit your control while the dialog is open.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,435 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author girish_jadhav

Hi girish,

@girish_jadhav wrote:

I tried to do it with display message to user but I cannot change the value of the control without closing the message. 

Is there a way a to do it?

Yes, sure!

Don't use a blocking (modal) dialog to display this message!

Simple solution:

Replace that ExpressVI by a simple string indicator, which displays either your message or an empty string…

Btw. you should avoid comparing float values for equality!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,434 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

He's definitely right. If your heater temperature goes from 79.997 to 80.001 between loop iterations, that message will never appear. At least replace your equals with a greater or equals node.

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,409 Views)

Hi GerdW,

@GerdW wrote:

Yes, sure!

Don't use a blocking (modal) dialog to display this message!

Thank you for the tip regarding comparison. Since the value we are reading from the sensor is also float type I thought it would be alright. 

String indicator works, but unless the user is looking at it (there are several tabs on front panel) there is no way to know if it reached its value or not (there is no cue). That's why I wanted to use display message.

PS: How would you set a VI to floating from modal?

girish_jadhav_0-1594893844253.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,333 Views)

Hi girish,

@girish_jadhav wrote:

String indicator works, but unless the user is looking at it (there are several tabs on front panel) there is no way to know if it reached its value or not (there is no cue). That's why I wanted to use display message.

Then you should not hide that string on one of several tabs! Place the indicator on the frontpanel so the user can see it all the time!

@girish_jadhav wrote:

PS: How would you set a VI to floating from modal?

In the VI properties…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,330 Views)