cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between division and quotient

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I stuck with something which is look like weired for me. When I was trying to divide two numbers together I got different values in term of remainder as mentioned in theattached example .. please can any body help me to know the reason. thanks in advance  

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,511 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Al-rawachy

All I did was change the format of the X to show 6 digits of precision.  It should be obvious from here.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,506 Views)

Hi Crossrulz,

thank you so much for your quick reply

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,496 Views)

Just what I thought, I fiddled a little with your VI and found the suspected root cause: precision. the default setting is "significant digits" which means how many overall digits are important to you, it can be changed to "digits of precision" which means how many digits past the decimal point you want displayed. LabView still keeps all of the information in the wire, regardless of how many digits you ask to be shown, and thus uses that in the subsequent calculation. You saw a number that rounded up, but in reality lacked a few decimals.

math.png

EDIT: Cross beat me to it, that's some fast coding!

Message 4 of 7
(3,488 Views)

yeah, you are right.  I have know idea about it before.

Is there any way that make the labview follow the siginificant digits because it is really important for me to have an acuurate result? Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,481 Views)

sorry, no idea**

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,479 Views)

Like I said, LabView ALWAYS follows the significant digits and the full precision of the result, regardless of what it shows you. The representation options are just for user readability, but LabView will always use the most accurate representation available unless you specify the opposite.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,449 Views)