From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deploy devicenet stand alone application

I have built a LabVIEW application that uses a NI PCI DeviceNet card to communicate with a welding power supply.  On the development machine everything works great.  When I install my application on the stand alone machine the application cannot find the shared variables of the slave device.  I realize that I probably have a simple configuration issue, most likely involving the building of the application and installer.  I know this is all very vague so I'll try to keep my question as general as possible.  What additional installers are required to deploy a stand alone application utilizing devicenet to a Windows XP Pro machine?  

One more bit of info.  In the help file for the NI Scan Engine it states "To automatically deploy the NI Scan Engine and I/O variables when a built application runs, you must enable the Include hardware configuration files checkbox on the Advanced page of the Application Properties dialog box before building the application."  Doing this causes my application to never launch (crashes immediately) on the stand alone machine.  The hardware in my development machine contains several devices that are not in my target system but are not used by the application either.  Can this be causing the crash or am I completely misunderstanding what exactly I need to do.  Once again, I know this is quite vague, but I thought I would look here for some general pointers while investigating the problem further. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,420 Views)

Hi murph1116,

Just curious, but is your application deploying to a RT target? Just wondering what the whole setup of your system looks like.

Thank you!

Chris T.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,394 Views)

It is not a RT target.  Just XP Pro on a industrial PC with a PCI DeviceNet card.  Is a RT target necessary?  From my understanding it isn't although I do realize that most applications using DeviceNet would be running on a real time system.  Also, I'm using LabVIEW 2009 and DeviceNet 2.0 for Industrial Control to development the application.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,389 Views)

Hi murph1116,

When you deploy to the other machine, under the build specifications are you enabling auto deploy of shared variables?

Thanks!

Chris T.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,356 Views)

Yes I am enabling auto deploy of shared variables.  I did make a bit of progress by upgrading to LabVIEW 2010.  Before the upgrade the NI Scan Engine did not appear to be working at all.  It stayed in the initialization state on the target computer.  After the upgrade it would make it to the Active state.  Should I see my DeviceNet Interface in the Distributed System Manager?  My development machine shows it after deployment of shared variables but my target system never does?  So I'm still having trouble communicating through DeviceNet.  At this point I'm sure I'm simply missing a step here.  I just don't know what it is.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,336 Views)