cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deploy Labview app on Solaris

Solved!
Go to solution
Hi everyone,
The project I am working on has two parts. Part 1 is data acquisition on a Solaris system. Part 2, number crunching, done already in Labview on Windows (at least, until now).
The problem I hope you can help me with is with part 2. My internal customers get the rash when Windows is mentioned (they are old school, UNIX command-line intensive, engineers, who the only VI they know about, is the popular UNIX 'vi' text editor). I would like to port the number crunching and nice plots that Labview provides into Solaris, to keep them happy.
I could come up with these options, which implies reuse of my existing Laview code (with some minor changes maybe):
1) Get and older Solaris Labview with application builder, so I can deploy the program to the end users... can I get it? if so, how?
2) Get a current Linux version and test it on Solaris... since Linux and Unix are so similar, I am guessing there is some hope on this. Has anyone tried this before? any opinion on this approach (maybe you are 100% positive it's worth a try, or 100% positive it won't work)?
3) I have the Internet Tookit. Reading (a little) about it, it sounds there is a way to "see" a running VI on a PC through a web browser running on another machine (only front panel). If this is true, I could potentially run my VI on Windows, and have my Windows-allergic users see the plots via a browser. Is this possible? if not, is there something similar I can do?
4) My current solution, if none of above work, would be to deploy a Windows executable (have them get over their allergy) and have it installed on a remote PC, which can be accessed using VNC. The VI would get the data (generated in part 1, under Solaris) through the network, from a UNIX path (using FTP or simple Windows drive mapping through a Samba server).
I would appreciate comments about my options, and/or new options/ideas.
Thanks a lot!
PS: currently using Solaris 10, and Labview 8.2 for Windows

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,353 Views)

1. I think the last version for solaris was 7.1. Long obsolete, your best chance might be evil-bay.

2. 99.99% sure that you cannot get a Linux version to work on Solaris. This is assuming that the Solaris is running on a SPARC. LabVIEW for Linux runs on Intel processors  I believe, and the machine code that gets compiled is not at all the same.

3. The internet toolkit is not at all required. The remote panels is a feature of LabVIEW. In order to display web pages, you need to install a compatible run-time engine. If you have 7.1 for windows and can back save to that, you might be able to use this option. You would also need 8.0 as this is the only version that you can use to save as 7.1.

4. I would plan on doing this.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,343 Views)
Didn't Solaris go open source? I remember it being released so it could be downloaded for free, but I don't know if it's been kept up.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,330 Views)

Dennis Knutson wrote:

3. The internet toolkit is not at all required. The remote panels is a feature of LabVIEW. In order to display web pages, you need to install a compatible run-time engine. If you have 7.1 for windows and can back save to that, you might be able to use this option. You would also need 8.0 as this is the only version that you can use to save as 7.1.

3) I want to make sure I understand: I have a PC (for my code) and a Sun (Sparc. For my users) machine. I run the VI on the PC, and want to use a browser on Sun to see the VI running on the PC. Do I need the run-time engine on the Sun machine to enable its browser to see the VI? if that is the case, I have a similar issue than option 1.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,312 Views)

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

Solaris being open doesn't help me at all. My problem is not having Labview for my Solaris users.

... Unless I misunderstood your message 😛

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,308 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author agustin_sun

agustin_sun wrote:

Dennis Knutson wrote:

3) I want to make sure I understand: I have a PC (for my code) and a Sun (Sparc. For my users) machine. I run the VI on the PC, and want to use a browser on Sun to see the VI running on the PC. Do I need the run-time engine on the Sun machine to enable its browser to see the VI? if that is the case, I have a similar issue than option 1.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Yes, you need the run-time on the SPARC. The run-time is still available for download. The difference with option 1 is that you would be looking for a windows version of 7.1 and that would be much simpler than trying to find a solaris version of 7.1.

Another option that might work would be to upgrade to at least 8.6 and you can deploy VIs as web services. This does not require a LabVIEW run-time installed on the client. This is not something that I have any experience with but you might want to pursue this avenue.

Message 6 of 6
(3,292 Views)