LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

default terminal setup on subvi creation

I have always been bothered about not being able to create subvis with specific terminal configurations.  When I convert some code to a subvi labview always chooses the terminal pinout for the number of i/o of the code.  This leaves me with the task of manually disconnecting all i/o terminals, changing the terminal patterns (usually to a 4x2x2x4 format which I find the easiest to read and wire to) ard then reconnecting the terminals.  Is there an option to specify that I want this 4x2x2x4 format by default and have the subvi wired up with the closest pins?  I always wished that the subvi terminals and icons were more flexible (probably much too late to change but maybe in 9.0 or 10.0).  I would suggest a standard width of the terminal (should be the same as the spacing of the cluster/uncluster and also the build array)  And we can use either a dual inline or square patterned icon, so choices would be a 1x1, 2x2...16x16(dual inline) or 4x3x3x4.  With a standard size terminal as opposed to a standard sized icon, the wiring would be much easier to route and code would not get so tight when many i/o pins are used (much less spaghetti code).  Just some thoughts on the topic (this could be moved to a different forum if needed)

Paul
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(2,919 Views)

There is currently no way to specify the connector pane for a subVI created with the "Create SubVI" option.  We are aware of this feature request, however...hopefully we'll see it in a future LabVIEW version (it's something I've been wanting for a while, too).  We got halfway there in LabVIEW 8.0 when new VIs were changed to always have the 4x2x2x4 connector pane...and you can change this, too, with an undocumented INI entry that I discuss in this Darren's Weekly Nugget thread.

-D

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(2,912 Views)
While we are on the subject of connector panes.  It would be realy nice if the icon editor included some indication of where the terminals are.  I find  myself spending loads of time trying to get the icon image to line up with the terminals the way I want.  Things are even more difficult when creating non-square vis.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(2,910 Views)
What about selecting 'Show Terminals' in the icon editor?Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 13
(2,909 Views)

@Dennis Knutson wrote:
What about selecting 'Show Terminals' in the icon editor?Smiley Wink

I R 1D10T

Two years I have been using this program and never once have I noticed that setting.  Robot Sad  I like learning new things every day.  I am embarassed when they are so obvious.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,906 Views)

Don't feel bad, Jason.  Even the Nugget Master didn't know about Show Terminals until about 3 months ago.  🙂

-D

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,902 Views)
falkpl said: "With a standard size terminal as opposed to a standard sized icon, the wiring would be much easier to route and code would not get so tight when many i/o pins are used (much less spaghetti code)"

I completely agree.  If the icons were able to be resized, this would be ideal.  For subvi's of mine that have many inputs/outputs, I like to unckeck "view as icon", so that I can drag down the list of inputs/outputs, for an attempt at cleaner code.  This would be even better if you could resize those, as it strikes me that they are obnoxiously oversized.

See the picture.  (please no comments on my extra creative icon design)

Message Edited by Novatron on 07-21-2006 12:20 PM

Message 7 of 13
(2,899 Views)
I agree with Paul that setting the default connector pane would be useful. I have preferred 4x4 for an number of years. The new default has more connections than I like, but at least a consistent pattern is better than the old way of selecting the minimal pattern which would provide for the controls and indicators.

Novatrons's post reminded me of another annoyance regarding VI connections: Why is there no consistency in the location of connections on Express VIs? At least the error in and error out should line up and always be at the bottom of the fixed block. Similarly, anything which goes in and out like file paths or refnums should at least line up. I rarely use Express VIs, but this is at least part of the reason.

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,887 Views)
Attached is what I have been thinking about for the improved graphical/cosmetic change to the terminal i/o of subvi functiosn for code readability.

Paul
Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,873 Views)
Here is the before code.
Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision