LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

default directory reverts to startup default in exe

I have an exe that accesses files in a directory I have set up as the default directory.  In previous versions of labview, I had the ability to set the default path directly in the exe under the tools pulldown from the main vi. in the exe.  I am using 8.2 and that option is no longer there.  I have been able to set the default directory during the build of the exe but it is no longer working -- my default path has changed (on a network drive that I don't have control of) -- and just changing the default path in the ini is not working.  has any one found a solution for this (or even seen ths before).  Thanks.

Tom
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,842 Views)

Hi Tom,

The default directory should be settable from within the INI file, so I am curious why this is not working for you. What is the exact token that you see in the INI file? Is the INI file stored in the same directory as your EXE? Would you like to access files in the default directory, or the default data directory?

As a simple test, you can create a simple application that merely displays the default directory on a front panel indicator. Changing the appropriate INI token (for default directory or default data directory) should take effect when you open up your built application.

Once I receive your response, I will work on recreating the issue on my end. At that point, I can begin researching a few methods to take care of this issue and get your application up and running.

Regards,

Casey Weltzin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,825 Views)

Upon further review, I had a couple of issues.  And, of course!, one of them was that my program had a bug!  OOPS!  However, when i just updated the .ini file with the new path name, it didn't recognize the change.  When I recompiled the exe and transferred the new .ini file to the computer in question, that seemed to work.  My program is now working.  I still am curious to know why I can no longer change the default directory from tools - options - paths.  In previous versions that was an easy way to set the default directory in an exe.  Now that functionality has been removed. 

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,813 Views)

Hi Tom,

I am glad that you were able to get your program up and running! So changing the INI token on the target machine directly did not work? What exactly did you do to finally resolve the issue? I am curious why a recompile ultimately fixed the problem.

Off hand, I am not sure why this functionality has been removed from current versions of LabVIEW. I would definitely encourage you to submit a product suggestion at ni.com/contact; our developers carefully look at each and every suggestion submitted.

Have a great day Tom!

Casey Weltzin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,803 Views)
I am in training today, on Friday I will try and give a complete update as to exactly what I did.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,800 Views)