LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data acquisition

How is the sensor with digital output connected to NI-6009?

The sensor is the heart rate sensor module heartbeat pulse blood oxygen measurement MAX30102 and the non-contact infrared temperature measurement module MLX90614 temperature acquisition sensor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(2,834 Views)

Both devices appear to be digital devices, one specifically using the I2C protocol, the other using a different two-wire digital protocol.  The USB-6009 is not designed for these high-speed digital protocols; I believe NI has other devices that might be better suited.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(2,797 Views)

It looks like both if these devices use the I2C bus?

The Ni-6009 does NOT have I2C bus interface.

The cheapest alternative would be an Arduino and a little programming in your part to make the Arduino send you the sensor data over it's serial port.

Or the proper interface from NI

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(2,792 Views)
How can the two digital sensor output signal is passed to the LABVIEW?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(2,737 Views)

@guhuowang wrote:
How can the two digital sensor output signal is passed to the LABVIEW?
  1. Use the proper I2C/SPI interface like a NI-USB-8451
  2. Use an Arduino
    1.  The Arduino will have to read the sensors and transfer data to the serial interface using Arduino code YOU write 
    2. Use LabVIEW to read the serial data from the Arduino

Option 1. would be almost plug and play from a LabVIEW perspective.

Option 2. would be a lot more work but an Arduino is only $20 and a NI-8451 is $534

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(2,715 Views)

The signals collected by the MLX90614 body temperature sensor module can already be read out on the serial software provided by the merchant through USB to TTL circuit. How to display these signals on labview? I hope someone can give me an answer. Thank you。

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(2,778 Views)

Use NI VISA to communicate with the serial port.  Search the forums for messages on serial communication.  Look in LabVIEW examples in the Example Finder. (Though I don't find them the best.)

Communicating with a serial port is easy.  The hard part is whether you have read the device manual to see what kind of message protocol there is.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(2,746 Views)

What do you mean can be processed with the signal transmission to the LABVIEW? Can introduce some more detailed? Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(2,741 Views)

You haven't nearly provided enough information to give you more than very vague ideas.

The chip you mention has according to the data sheet a SMBus interface. This is basically an I2C compatible serial bus that you won't be able to read without some interface circuit directly into a PC. You mention an USB to TTL interface from your merchant. That is nice but again by far not enough. USB is a connector (nowdays about 5 different ones), an electrical specification and a whole suit of possible device profiles with each having their own data protocol. Without knowing more about what USB device profile this interface uses, we can't say anything.

If it implements a VCP (Virtual COMM Port) device profile, it is as easy as using a NI VISA to simply talk to your USB interface, since the VCP port will be installed by Windows (or any other modern OS) as a serial COMM port. You still need to know what commands to send to this interface and what responses it sends back. Without this documentation you are going to have a tough time to get anything out of this device.

Otherwise things get a lot more complicated as you have to somehow find a way to interface to the USB device class interface. That could happen in NI VISA through use of the USB Raw interface, but requires you to know the exact low level protocol used on the USB bus. For anyone but seasoned USB developers this is usually at least 2 steps to far away to succeed.

Another approach is to use a DLL that implements the interface and call that DLL through the LabVIEW Call Library Node. While this is somewhat more feasable in most cases (provided you have a stable working DLL and the documentation for it) it's still not trivial and without the necessary knowledge to write a C program to call this DLL from, you won't get very happy about this path either.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(2,736 Views)

I have no idea what you are asking me because the words you use, I did not use.

Search the forums for VISA.  Go to Help >>  Find Examples....    Search for "Serial".  Look at "Continuous Serial Write and Read.vi"

Read the manual that came with your device and look for a section on serial communication.  See if it gives you the message protocol.  That means what command do you need to send it, and how do you interpret the response.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(2,731 Views)