From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

daqmx triggering

I've poked around the KB a bit and didn't see anything related to my seemingly easy problem regard triggering with my PXI-6533. My device is named "Dev3" and the line I'm polling for a waveform is "Dev3/port0/line3". I want to trigger off of this same line to start my waveform but the only available options for the trigger source are PFI and PXI_Trig lines. I've attached a screen shot of my VI and of the source options for triggering. I'm using LabVIEW 8.6.

Andrew

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,455 Views)

Hi,

Have you looked at the manual/pinout for the device? I couldn't find a manual but it normally tells you which lines are PFI lines - it maybe the the line P0.3 is a PFI line. For example on the 6211, P0.0 is PFI0

Hope this helps

David

David
www.controlsoftwaresolutions.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,434 Views)

Found the specs. The PFI lines are categorized as "control lines". I didn't expect to have to wire my signal into two separate inputs. I will try to wire one of the PFI lines at work tomorrow.

Digital Lines and Ports

The 32 individually configurable lines of digital input and output on the NI 6533/6534 are grouped into four 8-bit ports, as shown in the following table. Dev1 in physical channel names is the default device name for NI 6533/6534 devices. You can change these names in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX).

Port NI-DAQmx Physical Channel Name (Lines) NI-DAQmx Physical Channel Name (Ports)1
Port 0 Dev1/port0/line0Dev1/port0/line7 Dev1/port0
Port 1 Dev1/port1/line0Dev1/port1/line7 Dev1/port1
Port 2 Dev1/port2/line0Dev1/port2/line7 Dev1/port2
Port 3 Dev1/port3/line0Dev1/port3/line7 Dev1/port3
1This physical channel name refers to all eight lines in a port at once.

For Ports 0 through 3, you can configure a port width of 8, 16, or 32 bits. To configure a 32-bit port, use the physical channel name Dev1/port0_32. To configure a 16-bit port, use channel names that refer to all the lines in multiple consecutive ports: Dev1/portP_N, where P is 0 or 2, and N is the total number of lines. For example, to combine Port 2 and 3 into a 16-bit port, you would specify Dev1/port2_16 as the physical channel.

Control Lines

The NI 6533/6534 has two timing controllers (Group 0 and Group 1) for high-speed data transfer. Each group contains four control lines which can time the input/output of data with hardware precision. You can use Groups 0 and 1 to perform the following actions:

• Generate or receive digital patterns and waveforms at regular intervals or timed by an external TTL signal
  • Transfer data between two devices using the handshaking or burst sample timing type
  • Acquire digital data every time the state of a data line changes (the change detection sample timing type)

Configuring Unused Control Lines as Extra Data Lines: Ports 4 and 5

If you are not using Group 0 and/or Group 1 as timing controllers for timed operations, you can use their control lines as extra data lines. These lines constitute Ports 4 and 5. The direction of these lines is not configurable—four lines are used as input only (Port 4), and four are used as output only (Port 5). On a per line basis, Port 5 lines can be configured for open collector generation.

Even though there are eight actual lines, the port widths are 4 bits. The following table shows the lines that make up Ports 4 and 5.

Direction Line Group I/O Pins Physical Channel Name (Lines)
Input 0 0 PFI 0 Dev1/port4/line0
1 1 PFI 1 Dev1/port4/line1
2 0 PFI 2 Dev1/port4/line2
3 1 PFI 3 Dev1/port4/line3
Output 0 0 PFI 4 Dev1/port5/line0
1 1 PFI 5 Dev1/port5/line1
2 0 PFI 6 Dev1/port5/line2
3 1 PFI 7 Dev1/port5/line3
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,428 Views)

I put a jumper on my signal wire so it is now going into Dev3/port0/line3 as well as /Dev3/PFI0 for my trigger. DIO acquires signal fine until I insert the trigger VI. Now DAQmx Start Task is erroring out with

"Error -200904 occurred at DAQmx Start Task.vi:2

Possible reason(s):

Measurements: Start Trigger Type requested is not supported given the requested Timing Type.  

To use the requested Timing Type, do not set the Start Trigger Type property. NI-DAQmx automatically selects a compatible Start Trigger Type setting.

To use the requested Start Trigger Type, select a different Timing Type.

Property: SampTimingType
Requested Value: On Demand

Property: Start.TrigType
Requested Value: Digital Edge

Task Name: _unnamedTask<31>"

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,404 Views)

Hello Andrew, this is Paul with Applications Engineering at National Instruments.

Just to be sure, you want to trigger a digital input off of itself, correct?

The best way to tackle this is going to basically be what you have already started on by using jumpers between the 2 lines.  It may be possible to achieve this through internally rerouting the signal, and only using 1 hardware input, but this will likely create problems and be more complex.

We actually have a shipping example that demonstrates what you are trying to do.  You are going to want to use a technique we call acquiring pre-trigger samples in order to ensure that your acquisition start coincides with the trigger, and that you don't miss samples in the delay.  Essentially by pre-triggering we are setting up your device to read trigger samples ahead of time, sort of as a buffer, to ensure that we don't lose your actual data samples.

In this example will need to use both a DIO line as well as that PFI line with a jumper as you are already doing.  To get to the example, in LabVIEW, please go to Help>Find Examples>Browse>Hardware Input and Output>DAQmx>Digital Measurements>'Read Dig Chan-Int Clk-Dig Ref.vi'

Let us know how that works out for you, and if we can be of more assistance.

Regards,

Paul Davidson
National Instruments
Product Owner - ni.com Chat
Message 5 of 8
(3,384 Views)

the valid start trigger sources for the PXI 6533 are PFI6 and PFI7.  Since your using PFI0 you get your error

PXI 6533 help

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 6 of 8
(3,381 Views)

What Jeff said is also true, I missed this when looking through your documentation, although I would still recommend using pre-trigger samples (with PFI 6/7) to ensure that you don't lose any of your original signal.

Paul Davidson
National Instruments
Product Owner - ni.com Chat
Message 7 of 8
(3,376 Views)

@Paul-D wrote:

What Jeff said is also true, I missed this when looking through your documentation, although I would still recommend using pre-trigger samples (with PFI 6/7) to ensure that you don't lose any of your original signal.

Someones gotta keep the blue bars honest! Smiley Very Happy

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,372 Views)