From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

daqmx terminal probe

I've got a data structure containing a DAQmx terminal and when I probe a wire with this structure the probe number on the block diagram has a gray background and the probe never shows any value when the data passes through (it is always gray).
If I remove the DAQmx terminal from the data structure the probe works properly. Also, in the probe itself, the DAQmx terminal looks more like a string than a pulldown because it has a vertical scrollbar and is much taller than the pulldown in my typedef.
This happens in LabVIEW 7.1.1 and 8.2.1.  It doesn't happen in 8.5, but I have to keep with 8.2.1 for now.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Brian Smith
Advanced Light Source
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,520 Views)
Hi BVSmith,

Could you add a picture of the problem or attach the VI so those of us visual people can get it?  Also what type of data structure is it in?  Are you sure that the possible conditions for calling that particular piece of code are completing as expected?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,514 Views)
In the attached GIF you can see that the probe on the constant shows the value has passed through, but the DAQmx Terminal probe is still gray and the probe number on the block diagram is gray instead of yellow.

Brian Smith
Advanced Light Source
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,503 Views)
Hi,

I have been able to duplicate your problem in 8.2.  Does the terminal selection still make it to the vi, aka, does it still run properly?  It appears to me, that the data is still getting passed through the wire, just that the probes can't display the data. 
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,487 Views)
I figured it out.  I just realized that the probes in LabVIEW are just created from controls (duh) and
there must not be one for the DAQmx terminal so it picked a string probe instead.
I was able to create a new probe from the terminal probe explicitely and it works.

I am curious however.  I tried to create a new probe based on an existing one and none of the
DAQmx controls are listed in the list of existing probes, but I can probe (e.g.) DAQmx task name.
So where are those probes defined?

Thanks for listening.
Brian
Brian Smith
Advanced Light Source
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,476 Views)
In my previous post I meant:

... was able to create one from the DAmx terminal CONTROL ...
Brian Smith
Advanced Light Source
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,475 Views)
Hi Brian-

Your findings are exactly correct.  LabVIEW was incorrectly using a string control in that probe in LabVIEW 8.2.  It wasn't something we could fix in DAQmx, unfortunately, but it was fixed in LabVIEW 8.5 (as you already noticed).  FYI- this was originally reported to R&D and fixed under issue #46PFGRMI.
Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,471 Views)