From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating template vi

I have 23 subvis which I have to create for a project. All these subvis will have almost identical front panels- few controls + error clusters for dataflow. I wonder if I could save myself sometime by having a good template stored somewhere. So everytime I want to create a new subvi, I take a copy of the template vi and use it without getting any conflict messages?

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,434 Views)

File -> Save As, in save as type select Template VIs

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,427 Views)

Also you can just rename a vi from .vi to .vit using Windows. The extension is the only thing that makes a VI a template.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 3 of 6
(2,420 Views)

Plus you can simply use .vi files themselves as templates.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,407 Views)

ok so I have got the vit file in my project explorer and I also have now 23 virtual folders and I want to copy this template vi into those 23 folders all independent of each other. One way I could think of is to open template vi and create unopened additional copy for each folder in the project explorer. Is there a better way?

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,388 Views)

Why do you want to do that? Smiley Surprised

Isnt the point of a VIT to not do that? Smiley Happy

Take a look at this, if it is helpfull. it creates several running VI's from a template and shows them into a sub-panel. Each template is cloned and has cotten some information to it using the set control value method.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/front-panel-state-of-VI-in-subpanel/m-p/1697738#M601499

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,367 Views)