LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converting data from a generic LabVIEW object to a string like the Object.ToString method in .NET

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to do that?

Specifically, I want to print my monitor configuration which LabVIEW returns as an array of clusters of numbers and clusters of numbers. I can manually write code to convert that data to a string but if there's an automatic way to convert that to a string, that would sure save some time.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,802 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bruce008

Hi Bruce,

The Flatten to String function (available in the strings palette) should do what you've described. If you're looking for a more human-parsable string output I'd recommend the flatten to XML or JSON functions, found in the same location.

-Edit- If you're using LabVIEW 2012 or older, I don't believe you'll have access to the shipping flatten to JSON function, although if you prefer that format there is a community toolkit available here:

Interactive Internet Interface: JSON Toolkit for LabVIEW.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/interactive-internet-interface-json-toolkit-for-labview.

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,792 Views)

@0utlaw wrote:

Hi Bruce,

The Flatten to String function (available in the strings palette) should do what you've described. If you're looking for a more human-parsable string output I'd recommend the flatten to XML or JSON functions, found in the same location.

Regards,

I think you are misunderstanding. He doesn't want to flatten to a string necessarily, but give an object a string representation with some meaning. Unfortunately, a generic LabVIEW class does not have this method build in. You can, however, create a base class that all your objects inherit from which has a dynamic dispatchmethod called toString.

Message 3 of 5
(3,785 Views)

I was looking for a human-readable string, but you did answer my question perfectly so I have to accept your answer and ask again! I'll wait awhile.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,779 Views)

@GregFreeman wrote:

@0utlaw wrote:

Hi Bruce,

Regards,

I think you are misunderstanding. He doesn't want to flatten to a string necessarily, but give an object a string representation with some meaning. Unfortunately, a generic LabVIEW class does not have this method build in. You can, however, create a base class that all your objects inherit from which has a dynamic dispatchmethod called toString.

Hello Greg,

You're right-  Bruce indicated he was looking to convert a cluster of numerics, which may or may not have been class data, so I was interpreting "object" to mean a more general GObject (well, maybe not specifically, but that encapsulates the cluster in this case) rather than a class.  Your suggestion for adding a base utility class containing generic methods like this is also spot-on.

Best Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,755 Views)