From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

configuration file

hi,

let say i have created a hardware configuration of 8 channel for voltage or current and the file which was named as *.gcf (for example).

when i double click to open this *.gcf file the vi should recognize the configuration and execute the acquisition. how to do this task.

just like that if i have created Microsoft office *.doc file, when i opened that file it will automatically open with Microsoft office word document. just like that. i wanted to open my application exe.

in some application i tried to open  thirdparty apllication software by using Automation open - Activex. can we do like this using labview?

Regards,
Balaji DP
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,093 Views)

Hi balaji,

to start an executable when you double-click a document you have to connect the file suffix with that executable using the standard Windows settings... (When building the executable you have to enable commandline forwarding in the app builder dialog!)

And yes, you can use ActiveX from LabVIEW - there's a function palette available!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,082 Views)

On Win, there are some registry entries that define the behaviour for the file extensions. Use regedit and search for '.doc' and 'open'.

You need to get the arguments via an invoke node (if I remember correctly).

I've done this years ago, but I failed to get it working once my vi/exe was running. But should be possible as the VIPM is doing it. If I interpret it's behaviour correctly, it has a seperate instance 'VIPM File Handler', so it might be the workaround to use a seperate code that passes the command line arguments to the main code.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,049 Views)

can you send me any example vi? i am bit confusing about command line arguments

Regards,
Balaji DP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,004 Views)