From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

computer beeps when hardware is being initialized

Solved!
Go to solution

My program goes through a fairly long initialization process. While the program is initializing hardware (an oscilloscope and a picoammeter) it beeps twice. I figure that there is some sort of non-critical error occurring. I figure that I could use divide and conquer to find where the error is occurring but I was wondering if there is some way to "capture" a beep and turn it into an error message.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,971 Views)
The most obvious way is to use the Err? query that most instruments support and that most instrument drivers use.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,966 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author oyester

Huge question!  does the computer "Beep" or does one of the instruments in the system "Beep?"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,951 Views)

@oyester wrote:

My program goes through a fairly long initialization process. While the program is initializing hardware (an oscilloscope and a picoammeter) it beeps twice. I figure that there is some sort of non-critical error occurring. I figure that I could use divide and conquer to find where the error is occurring but I was wondering if there is some way to "capture" a beep and turn it into an error message.

but your hardware is working alright?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,934 Views)

Hey,

maybe the Windows Event Viewer is a good starting point to track down the "beeps".

More information about the Event Viewer here.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,923 Views)

It's very embarrassing to say this. I checked with my supervisor, and , when certain hardware has been found, a beep notifies us. So actually, if I didn't hear two beeps, something would be wrong. No I didn't write this. The previous guy, who is now my supervisor, wrote it.

Message 6 of 7
(2,764 Views)

Thank you for being courageous enough to post the findings here.  It takes a lot of guts to admit something like that, and maybe it will help someone else out on down the road.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 7 of 7
(2,752 Views)