From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chinese / english LabVIEW code

My company had a Chinese sub-company go bust.  They sent over a tester built in China using LabVIEW 2016.  My boss wants the program modified so we can use the tester in the USA without having to build one.

The code and file names are a mixture of Chinese and English.  So when I try to open a VI, it can't find some of the dependencies that have Chinese characters.

trying to Find the VI Named _µÈ´ýµ½Î».vi_.png

Has anyone here had to recreate a Chinese program into English? 

The code is on the Chinese tester which is running Windows 7 Pro China edition.  I can't get Windows update to add an English language pack.  So I also have the code on my machine to try and reverse engineer everything.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,851 Views)

You have to rename the VIs and sub-folders.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,818 Views)

As George said, you'll have to rename all the subVI's that use Chinese characters and give them English names and characters.  Do you have someone who can read Chinese to translate the names for you?

Now VI's that call those subVI's will still be looking for the Chinese named versions.  It could help if you open up the VI's on the Chinese PC that can find the subVI's to find out what the subVI icons look like and figure out which of the newly translated subVI's have the same icon.  Then when it is searching for the Chinese name and can't find it, you can tell it which English named subVI it is.  If you still have issues, you can go through the broken VI's and replace the missing subVI's with the correct version later on.

If you have a sense of the VI hierarchy, it might help to start with the lower subVI's first and work your way up.  You should also put the VI's into a project as well

Message 3 of 7
(2,802 Views)

Copy paste to Google Translate. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,794 Views)

Yes, I've been trying to do that.  I'm using Google translate on my phone to get the English rename of the file.  Unfortunately, when I load the project on my computer (or the single VI), LabVIEW's dependency search shows the file name as ??????.vi.  When I count how many ? there are, I find several files with the same Chinese character count.

But you've given me an idea.  On Monday, I'll rename the files on the China tester by leaving the Chinese characters in place and adding the English translation.  I'll reload the project, find the matching files, save the project, and then transfer everything over to my computer which in another part of the facility.

Thank you, all!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,789 Views)

By Transfer over...  are you hinting that you have no source code control repository?

That SCC has got to be your first priority.   TSVN is free and Tsvn toolkit makes it easy to use.    That is free too.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,782 Views)

Unfortunately, when I load the project on my computer (or the single VI), LabVIEW's

> dependency search shows the file name as ??????.vi.  When I count how many ?

> there are, I find several files with the same Chinese character count.

The project file is just an XML file.  Google can translate it.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,765 Views)