LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing extensions

Hi,

I would like to change the extensions of some files with Labview is that possible? It's like 30 filenames in one map, which I want to do in a loop, but the filenames change every month so I need some kind of code that runs through every file in that map in the order they are present.

Tx in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,827 Views)

Hi KF,

yes it's possible to change filenames...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 9
(3,816 Views)

As GerdW suggests, you can move and rename. You can also copy to a new name.

In the attached (V8.5) I grab all of the files in a directory and using an autoindexed loop create new versions with new extensions. If you don't want the old versions either delete them or use Move as GerdW mentions.

extensions.PNG

Message 3 of 9
(3,808 Views)

You can also change the extension using regular expressions:

NOTE: Obviously, the paths as strings would come from a Path to String function. Remember: Don't create paths using strings.

Message 4 of 9
(3,797 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

You can also change the extension using regular expressions:

Neat (but messing with my head slightly)

In my continuing efforts to understand regex... I think this is doing the following:

\ .  means look for the dot before the file extension then,

([^.\\]+) means start at the beginning of the extenstion (^) look for anything followed by a back slash (.\\) and do this search as many times as possible (+)

$ means match from the end of the string (i.e. after the dot used to indicate the file extension rather than before it)

I think I'm missing something in that middle step - what is the backslash for? Please could someone enlighten me?

Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,779 Views)

great stuff guys, gonna try it out thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,766 Views)

The middle part basically matches the pieces of text that are not a period or a backslash. Of this set the rest picks out the last one (which should be the extension). RegExr is a good site to analyzer regular expressions.

Message 7 of 9
(3,763 Views)

Hi,

I have one more problem to start the rest of the code, I used your suggestions and created .lvm files with several columns of numbers, the first column is date and hour though. I need the first 3 columns of numbers (not the dates and hours) to work with, so i need arrays of those. I can't really find how to do that. I attached an example of a .lvm file.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,739 Views)

Never mind I found it, use read spreadsheet with ; as delimiter

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,724 Views)