LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot find network device

Hi,

We got a Bruker EMX plus EPR instruments. They are using network card controlling all of the instruments. I wish to write my own program using LabVIEW. However, when I try MAX (ver 4.6.1) to look for network devices, nothing was found.

The program (not by  LabVIEW) by Bruker works well.

NI-DAQmx 9.02 was installed.

Thanks.

WT

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,154 Views)

How exactly are you trying to find it in MAX? MAX will autodetect VXI-11 and LXI devices. Is your instrument compliant with either? Have you tried entering the IP of the instrument manually?

p.s. What does DAQmx have to do with anything?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,145 Views)

Thanks.

What is VXI-ii/LXI devices? I only know the instruments are connected to the computer through a network wire and network card. I did try  entering the IP of the instrument manually, see attached screen shot.

I am sorry I cannot catch the meaning of "What does DAQmx have to do with anything?" 

Best,

Wei Tong

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,135 Views)
The question 'what does DAQmx have to do with anything' refers to your mention of the version of DAQmx installed and now it appears you are trying to search for network DAQmx devices. DAQmx refers to NI data acquisition devices and has absolutely no relationship to what you have. You are doing the wrong thing. You should be trying to create a new VISA TCP/IP Resource. Forget everything about DAQmx.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,124 Views)

I thought it was like GPIB devices or serial/com port devices. When I have this interface(GPIB controller,network controller, etc..) driver installed, then MAX suppose to find them.

OK, I see.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,119 Views)

Hi Weitong

I am using the Bruker Field controller only and not using any other EPR devices. My purpose is to control the mass spectrometer (indigenously built) magnet. This Bruker controller can be connected to PC using ethernet (rather cross-over) cable. The software provided by Bruker works very well. However, as a part of major program, I must talk to Bruker controller through LabView. Interestingly, this controller does not have IP address and the Bruker software  smartly detects it! Do you have any idea how to talk with this controller using MAX? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,918 Views)

Hello,

Do you have the manual for the Bruker Field controller you referenced? If there is a way to interact with it programmatically, it should be mentioned in there.

It does not look like we offer any instrument drivers for Bruker hardware on ni.com/idnet.

thanks!@

---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,888 Views)
And why do you think the controller does not have an IP address?
Message 8 of 13
(3,872 Views)

I had talk with bruker technician. according to him the field controller is not having any ip address and their new software just recognize the unit. But i feel it should have an address. When I ping the ip address (momentarily shown when the bruker software launches and start talking with field controller). The ping result is positive. So, I think i was wrong, this device has a ip address which is 192.168.1.104

Does this help labview to talk with this device? 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,852 Views)
If you are able to use this address to ping the device then you should use this address in your LabVIEW application. The important question though is does teh device retain this address after a power cycle or reset? They could use their driver to assign the address. This would not be a good way for their driver to behave unless this devie will always be on a separate isolated network segment.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 10 of 13
(3,849 Views)