From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO Module Output Amplitude

Hello,

I am curious on output amplitude when running a VI and sending signals to analog output modules. I have an NI 9264 and an NI 9266 and am running an executable with an fpga file. My question is on the fpga file how do I know what the amplitude is going to be? For example if I set a variable to 1 and send it straight to the analog voltage module channel 0, I will get 1 volt on that channel. However, for the NI 9266, it is a 0-20mA module. If I send a variable 10 to that module am I going to get 10mA or is it going to try to output 10Amps and clip at 20mA? I am just unsure of how to scale that output as a variable to what kind of output I am going to get.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,153 Views)

Modules for FPGA are give a value from 0 to 65535,  a 16-bit integer.  So 0 is 0 and 65535 is 10 V on a 0-10V module.   Same numbers are 0 and 20 mA on a 0-20 mA module.

So if you want to send 10 mA to a 0-20ma module 10/20*65536 = 32768.   Check the manual for the module for more details.  It might be divide by 65535.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,121 Views)

Hi,

most often in the FPGA you use FXP datatypes to handle AI/AO values.

FXP are similar to floating point values, but with a fixed value range/resolution. A ±10V module will accept FXP values in the range of ±16.000, a 0-20mA module will probably accept FXP values in the range of 0-32.00e-3.

I just checked in a recent cRIO project of mine:

• a NI9263 expects FXP <±,20,5> datatype, giving a range of -16.00000…+15.99997.
  • a NI9207 gives FXP<±,24,-4> datatype, resulting in a range of -3.125e-2…+3.125e-2 for its current inputs…

Again: RTFM (read the friendly manual). Don't forget to learn from the example VIs provided by NI for each cRIO module!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 5
(1,112 Views)

Thank you Gerd, 

This is interesting because for my analog voltage module I know I am sending a sine wave of amplitude 5 out to the module and that's what I am getting on the hardware so I am not sure what RavensFan is referring to. Also I was not aware there were examples for each cRIO module, I will try to find those. Then with the manual, I have the getting started guides and the datasheets but I am not sure that I ever found a different manual for the modules and they don't mention anything about the coding side to it.

Thanks for the help,

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,088 Views)

@MGardner5 wrote:

Thank you Gerd, 

This is interesting because for my analog voltage module I know I am sending a sine wave of amplitude 5 out to the module and that's what I am getting on the hardware so I am not sure what RavensFan is referring to. Also I was not aware there were examples for each cRIO module, I will try to find those. Then with the manual, I have the getting started guides and the datasheets but I am not sure that I ever found a different manual for the modules and they don't mention anything about the coding side to it.

Thanks for the help,

Matt

C-series modules can be used in both cDAQ chassis and cRIO chassis.  If you were using a cDAQ, then you'd be using DAQmx drivers and you can write the data as a double precision floating point number.

When it is in a cRIO chassis and executing through an FPGA like you are talking about,  then you can't use floating point numbers.  I just created a simulated project, and like Gerd says, it uses a fixed point data type with a range of ~ +/-16

I did not realize the c-series modules in a cRIO chassis used a fixed point.  What I am talking about was from my experience with an FPGA, but it turns out it was an R series card in a PXI chassis.  There the analog inputs and outputs were I16 integers.  So any engineering number like +/- 10 V had to be rescaled to an I16 integer of -32768 to 32767.  (Earlier I thought it was a U16.)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,077 Views)