LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bug in .NET System.Speech.Synthesis PromptBuilder.AppendText Method

There's a bug with trying to use overloads with this .NET method.  When you select an overload from the menu, it always defaults to the AppendText(String, PromptEmphasis) one, and all of them are checked in the menu.

Here's a simple snippet in LV 2014 that demonstrates the problem.  Try to select any of the overloads and see what I mean.  I believe it hasn't been fixed yet.

Could someone verify it for me?

promptbuilder append text bug.png

I guess it's somewhat ironic that the only overload available to LabVIEW is the only one that isn't supported by the Windows speech engine.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,789 Views)

I see the same behavior, but I have no problem using that method.  Win10+LV14

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,756 Views)

Sorry, Darin - I misspoke.  I can use the basic form, but if I wanted to do something with the text, the only thing available is "emphasis".  Thanks for answering on a Sunday evening.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,748 Views)

I can get just AppendText(Text).

Is that what you are looking for ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,736 Views)

@psuedonym wrote:

I can get just AppendText(Text).

Is that what you are looking for ?

That is what I see, too.  If you try to select any of the other overloads, you just get the emphasis one.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,729 Views)

I think you need to use a System.Speech.Synthesis.PromptVolume constructer and get the PromptVolume of ExtraLoud and wire to Emphasis if you want to change the volume.

LabVIEW seems them all as integers.

See if that works.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,726 Views)

Unfortunately it doesn't work. I was hoping it would morph, but it didn't. However, I think maybe Microsoft was lying about not supporting emphasis, because it did seem to change the inflection of the voice, as if the more emphasis you gave it, the more urgent it sounded.

I think it's just broken.  What should happen - or at least what I've experienced with other, similar overload situations, was that only the correct one had a check mark next to it, and it displayed the appropriate parameters.

I appreciate you trying to help out. I love this forum because of that.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,716 Views)

I am not sure what you mean by morph.

The second parameter --- PromptRate, PromptEmphasis, PromptVolume --- is an enum which basically is an integer.

I am thinking that using the constructor System.Speech.Synthesis.PromptVolume and getting the Property of ExtraLoud and wiring that to Emphasis will cause the volume to be very loud. That's the easiest to check.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,714 Views)

@psuedonym wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by morph.

The second parameter --- PromptRate, PromptEmphasis, PromptVolume --- is an enum which basically is an integer.

I am thinking that using the constructor System.Speech.Synthesis.PromptVolume and getting the Property of ExtraLoud and wiring that to Emphasis will cause the volume to be very loud. That's the easiest to check.

I do know what an enum is - that's not badge in my sig - it's a cert.  😉  Yes, what you described above is what I tried.  All it does it throw an error that the value was out of bounds - which is to be expected, because PromptVolume has 8 items while PromptEmphasis has only 5.

I do appreciate your help, believe me; maybe reading the MS Documentaion on it will help to clarify what I am talking about.

When I meant "morph", I meant it literally.  Like when you wire a constant to a polymorphic VI, it selects the instance that handles that datatype.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,674 Views)