From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

block diagram deleted (mostly), but VI still works.

Solved!
Go to solution

OK, I've made a tiny bit more progress.  I've found two Adds, two Subtracts, two Multiplies, two Ors, and two Nots.  The Case Statement that popped up is about a screen wide and (I'm estimating here) 50 tall, mostly empty, with the functions at the bottom and another normal-sized Case structure at the top.  I don't see many other structures, but I've not made an exhaustive search.

Here's a curious behavior that I don't understand (but maybe I should bring up the Tools palette -- just a second ...  Aha, that changed the behavior.  I was going to say that if I hit Ctrl-Shift (as through I was going to do a Move to Front), the cursor changed from a Plus to a Hand (scroll window) -- now it doesn't do that.  Could there be a Tools problem somewhere?

I also am getting "During the last run of LabVIEW 2013, one or more internal warning were detected and logged".  I've been hitting the Send button ...  There's no option for a followup.  Let me look at the latest Report ...  more than 20 Crash Dump Files and two Text Files.  One is helpful -- "Possible path leak, unable to purge elements of base #0", plus a series of identifiers that say Windows 7, LabVIEW 13.0, etc.

I looked at one of the .dmp files -- there is text in there, but it seems to be related to the build of LabVIEW + the files on my PC + "binary stuff" that is not human-readable.

I'm going to take a break from this for now.  I may be able to work some more on it, or someone may be able to "uncover" a bigger chunk than I could do ...

Has anyone asked NI Support about this?

Bob Schor

Message 11 of 23
(1,694 Views)

Ok, I've made some progress as well.  I made myself a copy and started playing with it... I have it back down to a single screen size, but most of the icons are gone, just lines that end and start in dead space.   It's like the icon is there, but invisible.   Wires start and end in the right places, but there's nothing there. 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23
(1,677 Views)

Just something to try (i can't open your VI or I would try it myself)....Do a File -> Save for Previous Version and see if that does anything.  

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 23
(1,672 Views)

Have you used Quick Drop?  [I'm assuming you are using LabVIEW 2012 or later, though Quick Drop appeared earlier, I think].  You should have a easier time of this that I did, as you have an idea of the functions that should be in this code.  Try the following:

1. Open a copy of your VI.  Go to the Block Diagram.
  2. Type Ctrl-F (Find).  Set Search Scope to the current VI (last option).  Search for Objects.  Select a Function from the Block Diagram that you think is there (there are two Add functions that I found).  Click Find.
  3. Notice how many instances it finds.  You now want to go replace the "damaged icons" with "good icons", which you do with Quick Drop.
    1. Type Ctrl-G to "Go" to the first Found function.  You probably won't see anything, maybe a very skinny dotted-line rectangle.
    2. Type Ctrl-Space, the Quick Drop request.  At this point, the previous Step has the Squashed Function selected.
    3. Type Ctrl-P, the Quick Drop "Replace" command.  If you are really fortunate, the function will pop into view.  If not, don't worry.
    4. Repeat these steps until you think you've covered all of the Found functions.
  4. It is possible that you still won't see anything.  First, verify what you've done by repeating Step 2, the Find step, to look for the same function.  When I did this with the original Add replacement, I saw dotted-line triangular (like Add) shapes.
  5. What I did at that point was a "Move Selected to Front", Ctrl-Shift-K (which I can't seem to find on the Menu bar ...).  The first time I did this, the Hyper-Tall Case Structure appeared.

Hopefully all of these suggestions are getting you closer to getting your VI back.  Once you've got it back, start using some form of a Version Control System, like Tortoise Subversion (think how much easier it would be to do a Revert or Checkout ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23
(1,665 Views)

Bob_Schor wrote:
  1. What I did at that point was a "Move Selected to Front", Ctrl-Shift-K (which I can't seem to find on the Menu bar ...).  The first time I did this, the Hyper-Tall Case Structure appeared.

4th button on the toolbar after the font selector.  The one with the yellow and blue circular arrows.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23
(1,652 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author chuggins1434

Ran this through my VI fixer and it got most things sorted out.  Had to tweak a couple of things by hand and I was not overly careful so triple check that I did not screw something up in your formula.  The goal of my fixer is to get things working and it puts things back into order using the BD cleanup so the final appearance is at its mercy.

Message 16 of 23
(1,633 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:

Ran this through my VI fixer and it got most things sorted out.  Had to tweak a couple of things by hand and I was not overly careful so triple check that I did not screw something up in your formula.  The goal of my fixer is to get things working and it puts things back into order using the BD cleanup so the final appearance is at its mercy.

Nice.  I actually tried to use VI Scripting to move every object in to coords 0,0 and then BD cleanup.  It broke the VI and returned an error.  I'd be curious how yours works...

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23
(1,620 Views)

Darin,

You are the man!  Looks perfect.  Is this "fixer" a NI product or something you mixed up? 

Thank you again!

Chad

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23
(1,604 Views)

Thank you everyone who put forth the effort to give suggestions and tried for solutions!  I'm much in everyones debt and appreciate the attention and effort all put into this minor issue.    A big Thank You one and all!

C

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23
(1,595 Views)

@chuggins1434 wrote:

Is this "fixer" a NI product or something you mixed up? 

Darin and LabVIEW is like Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction. (See also) 😄

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23
(1,588 Views)