LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

battery

Solved!
Go to solution

This is a shot in the dark but I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem long distance.  This LV code has been working since 2012.  The user says he replced the battery in the desktop PC and now he gets the errors shown in the screen shots.  Could changing the PCs battery have affected the code in anyway??  They are using a DAQ PCI-6229 ..both connector 0 and connector 1 are hooked up to 2 different SCB68s which are wired to the analog/digital signals coming in.  I've, over the phone, had them check every thing and can seem to find a glaring problem.  THEY SAY the only difference between when it worked and when it didn't is the battery being changed.

Thanks..

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,396 Views)

How old is the PC?  Your screen shots 1 and 2 don't mean anything to us as they are just dialog boxes  within the code saying whatever the programmer wanted.

Changing the battery wouldn't affect the LabVIEW code.

I see one of two things happening.

1.  Something else happened or got changed within MAX and now whatever named task was being used is gone, or different.

2.  Something happened in the BIOS and the way the PCI cards show up.

Perhaps it is a bit of both 1 and 2, and the loss of battery and the rediscovery of PCI cards caused them to get different names and thus the previously defined tasks and devices in MAX are no longer valid.

Start in Measuremente and Automation Explorer and use the test panels there to make sure everything is working hardware-wise.  See if the naming of the devices and tasks match whatever was called out in the LabVIEW program.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,389 Views)

Thanks..I'll start w those suggestions.

PC is probably 2012 so 4 years or more?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,375 Views)

@Clint1000 wrote:

Thanks..I'll start w those suggestions.

PC is probably 2012 so 4 years or more?

Hmmm.  Not as old as I was thinking.  I've seen PC's go much longer without replacing a battery.  It has actually been a very long time since I've needed to do that.

Message 4 of 8
(3,364 Views)

I'm sure I'm going to find something they did and didn't tell me.  You may have hit on something w MAX.  This code uses DAQ assistant to read the analog in channels...AI0..AI1..etc.   Do I need anything like "tasks" in MAX or can I just select the analog channel in from DAQ assistant??  and of course config samples and rate in daq asst.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,354 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

I see one of two things happening.

1.  Something else happened or got changed within MAX and now whatever named task was being used is gone, or different.

2.  Something happened in the BIOS and the way the PCI cards show up.

Perhaps it is a bit of both 1 and 2, and the loss of battery and the rediscovery of PCI cards caused them to get different names and thus the previously defined tasks and devices in MAX are no longer valid..

Well, the battery is in there for the BIOS to stay up to date (including clock and any other settings).  So I would say #2 is the most likely culprit.

I have also seen PCI cards come out of the socket just enough that it does not even show up to the computer.  I have had this happen from just moving the PC (it saw a lot of vibration on a cart).  So a reseating of the PCI DAQ card might also be needed.  And if you are in there anyways, make sure all of your other connections are solid (power, SATA, etc).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,350 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clint1000

@Clint1000 wrote:

I'm sure I'm going to find something they did and didn't tell me.  You may have hit on something w MAX.  This code uses DAQ assistant to read the analog in channels...AI0..AI1..etc.   Do I need anything like "tasks" in MAX or can I just select the analog channel in from DAQ assistant??  and of course config samples and rate in daq asst.

Typically I see DAQ Assistant use the physical channels, not global channels.  However, if the DAQ card is either no longer being seen in MAX or has a new device name, you will get errors since the DAQ Assistant is looking as a device's name.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 7 of 8
(3,343 Views)

Thanks for the support.  They went into MAX and did a SW reset then a SW self test and the code started working.  Being long distance I couldn't tell if therer were other things done that alievated the problem.   In the end it works.  Thanks..

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,223 Views)