LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatically find a value

@meganme wrote:

Thanks. I suppose what I'm trying to avoid is to embarkn on a task to learn only to find that it has little relevance... time is precious.

If you want to buy a costly stuff you have to spend that much money so if you spend good time you would be gaining good knowledge then you don't have to worry about the time. Just a suggestion its upto you. 🙂

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 34
(631 Views)

Of "relevance" is learning it efficiently, i.e., for the tasks I need it for. My job revolves around lecturing and undergraduate and postgraduate student project supervision, with research on top of this. I've been using LabVIEW as a more time effcient tool to process research data, hence my statement about learning time been limited. However, if you are telling me that it would be beneficial (in the long term) to learn how to program from scratch then that is something I'd have to try and work into existing demands. I appreciate that what I've learnt so far (mainly self taught though not to a high standard—the vi attached to the earlier post no doubt attests to this) is limited, but this sort of thing has saved so much—and I mean a ridiculous amount (previously all data were processed through Excel)—time.

I wasn't expecting anybody to do anything for me, but I was rather hoping that somebody might be able to politely nudge me in the right direction.

Many thanks,

Jason 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 34
(624 Views)

Surely saying that one doesn't have to worry about 'time' is just silly?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 34
(623 Views)

@meganme wrote:

Surely saying that one doesn't have to worry about 'time' is just silly?

I am not getting the right meaning of your statement but I would not worry about my time until its getting spent in the right way.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 34
(616 Views)

Have you tried taking some of the online courses ?

There is also some tutorials online here at this site, try searching for them.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 34
(604 Views)

Gosh, in my opinion some of the answers on this thread are a bit harsh and not very helpful. I think they could be worded in a more encouraging way. How quickly we are to forget what it is like to learn from scratch. Instead of somewhat scolding the OP, how bout we give some more specific examples on what he can do to learn. The idea to take the tutorials would be a good first step. It is important to learn the basics because that will give you the foundation to think through the different options available to solve the problem. Just trying to code to solve very specific problems will cause long term problems where you know all these bits and pieces but can't stick them all together. You will have lots of basic small programs and at some point you will most likely want to consolidate them but be unable to do so. That is one of the motivations for learning the basics. That said, anyone in the real world knows time is an issue. I would suggest the tutorials because you may be able to answer your own question after having a more basic understanding of the basic functions available to you such as less than and greater than functions. Experiment with these to see if you can find a way to do this. I promise you will retain the knowledge better if you work on it and ask questions as you go. Explore the pallettes and look for functions that seem applicable. If you press control H you can open the context help which will give you details on the function you are hovering over with your mouse. Anyways, hope that helps

Message 16 of 34
(598 Views)

Hi Greg, and thanks for your response... was starting to think I was been overly sensitive!

What you said makes good sense, and I'll perservere along that route.

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 34
(582 Views)

@meganme wrote:

Hi Greg, and thanks for your response... was starting to think I was been overly sensitive!

What you said makes good sense, and I'll perservere along that route.

Jason

No, some of the people were being pretty harsh.  Anyways, here's a link to LabVIEW 101.  I haven't looked through it much, but it seems like a good place to get started.  I encourage you to invest some of your time to learn how to do things right.  Your return on investment will be quick and long lasting.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 34
(553 Views)

Harsh to suggest that it is worth it to make the effort to learn LabVIEW?

Like anything in life, some effort must be expended to get results.

In the end, isn't that what you are doing by suggesting that the OP goes to LabVIEW 101?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 34
(547 Views)

for(imstuck) wrote:

Gosh, in my opinion some of the answers on this thread are a bit harsh and not very helpful.

He wants to use LabVIEW for his teaching, yet wasn't convinced that making the effort to learn LabVIEW was of "relevance".

It simply does not make any sense to me.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 34
(543 Views)