LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatic hammer

Hi!

I have no electronic background so I am only relying on some existing samples and researches.

What I have is NI USB 6002 and it is connected to a solenoid which will make an impact at constant spacing distance which was also recorded by the same NI 6002. Can someone help me with a labview code?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 34
(3,453 Views)
Your first problem is hardware. It is highly unlikely that the USB 6002 will be able to drive a solenoid unaided. What is this automatic hammer? What kind of solenoid is controlling it?

If you don't know electronics you need to be finding someone who does. What sort of background do you come from?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 34
(3,417 Views)

It is a device which taps at constant spacing.

This is the concept:

I have a mobile system moving on top of my material and at specific interval, the hammer powered by solenoid (700 g force) will tap my material.So this distance sensor and hammer is connected to my NI 6002.

Another sensor attached to the system is connected to NI 9234 and will detect the impact and analyze it. It is similar to impact hammer test but what I am having problems with is automating hammer.

Im into materials so this configuration really confuse me.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 34
(3,407 Views)

The NI 6002 digital output lines have a max current output of 4mA this won't drive a solenoid, you need some basic electronic parts to turn the switched output from the 6002 in to something with a few amps (measure the current the solenoid pulls to get a more acurate figure) - Mike

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 34
(3,365 Views)

Yup, make a buffer circuit involving an FET transistor.  Turn on the transistor using your digital line, and have the FET drive the large amount of current needed.  There is likely a 3rd party component that will do this for you off the shelf.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 34
(3,347 Views)
700G? That is one powerful "tap". In any case, the key parameters you are looking for concerning the solenoid are the voltage it requires and how much current is required to close it. What solenoid are you using?

How fast will this system be tapping? This could also come into play in that electromechanical devices have service lives that are shorter than all-electrical components.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 34
(3,331 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:
700G? That is one powerful "tap" [...] 

It's not as bad as you think.  Drop a fairly rigid object onto a fairly rigid base and the acceleration shoots through the roof fairly quickly.  I did the math once...

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 34
(3,309 Views)

Grams or gravities?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 34
(3,307 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

@mikeporter wrote:
700G? That is one powerful "tap" [...] 

It's not as bad as you think.  Drop a fairly rigid object onto a fairly rigid base and the acceleration shoots through the roof fairly quickly.  I did the math once...

But that's also why glass shatters when you drop it onto the floor.  So it actually is somewhat as bad as you think.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 34
(3,297 Views)
I know this is rapidly wandering wayyyy off topic, but one time I had a conversation with an engineer at Corning where he explained why Corelle plates **don't** break when they are dropped on the floor. Very cool...

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 34
(3,289 Views)