LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

accessing Windows networks computer list

Solved!
Go to solution
Is it posisble to access the list of computer that are on the network with active X through the My network places - entire network - Microsoft Windows Network - "mynetwork" and if so see who has VI sever enabled?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,440 Views)
I don't know if that information is available (and if it would be it would probably be through an API function or .NET and not through ActiveX), but to see if the VI server is enabled you would have to do an Open Application Reference anyway. In that case, it might just be easier for you to use the UDP multicast functions on each computer where the application is running to publish its IP address and the port on which the VI server listens. That way you're not dependant on windows and it will probably be much simpler.

(2,427 Views)

Thanks.  I put a small UDP multicast send with machine name from registry in the application loop - broadcasts about every 5 seconds to keep the rate low.  I resolve the name and from that I can check each machine with ease when I need to.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,413 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wirkin
No need for the registry - you can get the IP address by using String to IP and wiring the result into IP to string and you will get a simpler, more portable program. You can even right click the StIP to change it to output multiple addresses if you have more than one network adapter.

(2,406 Views)