From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero-size TDMS files deleted by Datafinder

Whilst attempting to recreate someone else's issue with an empty/zero size TDMS file, I came across something I'd never seen before. Datafinder appears to delete empty TDMS files in indexed locations.

I have My Documents as one of my indexed folders, which is one of the defaults. From the Windows Explorer shell, create a new text file and rename it empty.txt. If Datafinder is indexing, it disappears after a little while. If Datafinder isn't indexing (so if I pause it), the file survives. Resume Datafinder again and it vanishes. If the file isn't 0 kB in size, Datafinder seems to leave it alone.

I can't think of a practical reason why I'd want to create an empty TDMS placeholder file, but I certainly don't think Datafinder should be doing this.

Anyone ever come across this?

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,160 Views)

Hi thoult,

I will try and replicate this issue. Do you find the same behaviour is exhibited for different file types or is it just .txt ? 

Kind Regards,
Lucas
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,131 Views)

Sorry, typo - create an empty text file and rename it empty.tdms.

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,124 Views)

Hi thoult,

I have verified that the empty tdms is deleted. A normal tdms file with have some xml data at the start of it containing data such as when it was created so if a tdms file is created normally you shouldn't experience this issue.

I would therefor expect that datafinder is identifying the file as "corrupt" and deleting it. I will look further into this to see if it's expected behaviour. 

Kind Regards,
Lucas
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,107 Views)

Hi thoult.

After verifying the behaviour it seems unlikely that this would ever happen in practise because when a tdms file is created it contains xml data when it was created etc. I however notified the engineers for this product as a precautionary measure. 

Kind Regards,
Lucas
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,034 Views)

I can't think of a reason I would really want to do it either, but it was odd behaviour nonetheless!

Thanks.

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,022 Views)

DataFinder does not delete any file at all - only opens files for readig access....

When following the instructions below I cannot reproduce the issue, but receive the expected result: an indexing failure!

TDMS_Index_Failure.png

Can you please provide addditional information regarding your software installation:

- LabVIEW version (includes DataFinder Toolkit?)

- My DataFinder version (right-click on My DataFinder tray icon -> About My DataFinder...)

- DIAdem (in case installed)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,019 Views)

We replicated it using

LabVIEW 2014

DIAdem 2014

Data Finder 14.0.0f

Kind Regards,
Lucas
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,974 Views)

LV 2013

Diadem 2012

Datafinder 3.1.1f5249 here

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,972 Views)

Hi Thoult,

This is due to na error with a plugin, a Corrective Action Request has been created: 514529. This is something that is being worked on by the R+D department. On every release of the product, you could see a list of fix issues, you will be able track this issue if you wish by looking number on the release notes.  

This shouldn't affect your normal use of DataFinder as any tdms file with metadata or any data won't be deleted. 

Kind Regards,
Lucas
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,924 Views)