LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Browser Is No Longer Supported. How to link the .NET & ActiveX Web Browser to the default or specific web browser instead of Internet Explorer ?

Configuration : LabVIEW 18 base package.  64 bit Windows 10

Hi everyone,

I have a LabVIEW front panel with a .NET & ActiveX Web Browser control.  It's URL is set to a company webpage.

It has been working for many years but the company web page has been redesigned and now the LabVIEW front panel .NET & ActiveX Web Browser displays the message "Your Browser Is No Longer Supported" with options to update the browser to Google Chrome etc (image attached).

I'm assuming the LabVIEW .NET & ActiveX Web Browser is somehow linked to 'Internet Explorer' which does not support the new company web site format.

I've un-installed 'Internet Explorer' in the hope that LabVIEW would attempt to use 'Microsoft Edge' or Chrome etc but without success.

So my question is, how do I link the LabVIEW .NET & ActiveX Web Browser to the default browser or a specific browser such as Edge or Chrome?

My LabVIEW app is in use around the world so it would be nice if the solution involved a Windows config change rather than a LabVIEW code change with the associated re-deployment to customers.

Thank you very much in advance

Aaron

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(751 Views)

There have been numerous posts about using WebView2 from within LabVIEW to avoid the use of the Internet Explorer based WebView component.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-to-use-WebView2-control-in-LabView/td-p/4133679

Microsoft:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/webview2/

You can not redirect WebView calls to WebView2 calls through a registry hack. WebView2 is not just a slightly modified version of WebView but a completely different implementation so that doing that would require a complete proxy stub layer that replaces WebView completely and translates everything. I suppose Microsoft did not see any reason why to spend that effort on something that would most likely never really have worked anyways and cause lots of compatibility headaches for people who may need the old WebView implementation anyways.

Welcome in the world of software development and dependencies on suppliers decisions about when and how to obsolete their software libraries.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(747 Views)

Thanks for your rapid reply and information Ralph, it looks like the simplest solution is to remove the embedded web browser control from my LabVIEW app.

Cheers

Aaron

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(707 Views)