From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XML parser RT

Hi all!

I need some help: i want to parse an xml file in labview Real Time.  In windows i know you can use a microsoft parser using Windows ActiveX. But i think this method will not work in RT environment .. Am I wrong ??? Does anyone knows how to do in RT ??? Any ideas, source code or exemple will be welcome !!!

Thanks ! 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(8,374 Views)

I found and installed the Internet toolkit which provides an xml parser! It's works perfectly under windows, but i tried to launch it on an RT target, and i receive this error : Failed to download XML Close Reference(Node).viLabVIEW:  Failed to load shared library DOMUserDefRef.dll...

Does anyone knows if it's possible to use this parser with an RT target ???

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(8,354 Views)

I am not a RT guy so I usually use the activeX (or more recently .net) parser implementations but if you are looking to parse a very simple and expected xml string you can use match string functions to write a simple parser for XML since the language has a very controlled Syntax.

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(8,349 Views)
Hi falkpl ! Thanks for your answer but i need a real parser.  My xml files are may be a little bit complicated and i don't want to write the parser again (especially with match string function ...) !

Well i searched in Labview Help and as i expected, XML DOM Parser is not supported in RT. Does anyone knows how to do to have a parser in RT ??? Maybe someone already wrote somthing like that .... thanks for your future answers ... !

I nobody answer i will be forced to use csv format .. and that will be a shame LOL !
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(8,334 Views)
Hi,

I once wrote an XML parser that implements a DOM interface (see W3C for the specification). (I must have been real stupid to even begin with it, it is really difficult. Lots of recursion)

Anyway, I got a lot of it finished. I think some features esp. regarding references, external files and namespaces don't work (it will be ignored). Most of the basic stuff works, like getting, appending, deleting and copying nodes, attributes and documents.

Most difficult part is that I didn't want to use references, but a more flow like way. So I used ID references to nodes. Benefit is you can never get memory leaks if you forget to close ID's (you never close them). Disadvantage is that the referred node's ID might be invalidated by a parallel thread...

I have no idea how/if it will run on RT, but exept for recursiveness/reentrancy there is nothing fancy in the code.

If you're interested, I can send you a private copy within a few days (I have to prepare it first). I'll have to talk to my colleges about the conditions (it did take a "few" days to make, so we might need to PW protect some stuff).

Regards,

Wiebe.

"KaBooOoom" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1141116034596-331103@exchange.ni.com...
Hi falkpl ! Thanks for your answer but i need a real parser. &nbsp;My xml files are may be a little bit complicated&nbsp;and i don't want to write&nbsp;the parser again (especially with match string function ...) !
&nbsp;
Well i searched in Labview Help and as i expected, XML DOM Parser is not supported in RT.&nbsp;Does anyone knows how to do to have a parser in RT ??? Maybe someone already wrote somthing like that .... thanks for your future answers ... !
&nbsp;
I nobody answer i will be forced to use csv format .. and that will be a shame LOL !
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(8,331 Views)

I understand that if you need anything but the simplist <tag>value<tag> parser this iss a very difficult task and not worth reinventing the wheel.

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(8,325 Views)

Hi,

In LabVIEW there is an entire XML pallette that you can take a look at. It is under Advnaced>>Data Manipulation>>XML in LabVIEW 7.0 and under programming>>string >>XML in LaVIEW 8.0., but this work under Windows, not under Pharlap.

You need find a tools that can be work under RT OS (Pharlap)

Link :

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=65387&requireLogin=False

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=81920&requireLogin=False

Regards,

Christophe S.
Account Manager East of France І Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer І National Instruments France

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(8,314 Views)

Hi Christophe !

I had a look at the two links. At first ,as they say, the 6 vis in the palette were created in order to serialize or deserialize data , but they are not usefull if you want to parse a xml file ! These tools can not be consider as a parser ! However the vi avaiable when you install the internet toolkit seems to be good but unfortunately they don't work under RT !

I think i'm not the first user who faces this problem, and i just wanted to know if someone already used such a tool ! Or if someone developped an XML parser that can be used in RT ! By the way , i'm interested by your software Wiebe@CARYA... If you send me your vis i will test it on an RT target ... and see if it suit my needs .... !

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(8,300 Views)
KaBooOoom,

I'm almost finished sorting out the code (lot's of old sub's that needed to be deleted), and even did some optimalisations.

I still need a few days, to sort some stuff out. I can still send it to you, but I need an address...

Are there any XML features you need? Some stuff is not implemented (because I have no idea how this stuff should work to begin with). The library is a DOM implementation, so don't expect any vi's like LV's XML stuff. You can move around XML node's in a lot of ways, and that's it, just like MS's DOM.

Regards,

Wiebe.

"KaBooOoom" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1141198839278-331724@exchange.ni.com...
Hi Christophe !
I had a look at the two links. At first ,as they say,&nbsp;the 6 vis in the palette&nbsp;were&nbsp;created&nbsp;in order to serialize or deserialize data , but they are not usefull if you want to parse a xml file ! These tools can not be consider as a parser !&nbsp;However the&nbsp;vi avaiable when you install the internet toolkit&nbsp;seems to be&nbsp;good but unfortunately they don't work under RT !
I think i'm not the first&nbsp;user who faces this problem, and i just wanted to know if someone already used such a tool ! Or if someone developped an XML parser that can be used in RT ! By the way , i'm interested by your software <a href="mailto:Wiebe@CARYA" target="_blank">Wiebe@CARYA</a>... If you send me your vis i will test it on an RT target ... and see if it suit my needs .... !
&nbsp;&nbsp;
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(8,273 Views)
I got same question on my LV PDA module..
The PDA running windows CE, but LV PDA also not support XML.

LV version 6 has support XML, but why still leave other modules alone?
This isn't difficiult  job for NI.
Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(8,211 Views)