LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XML Timestamp Interpretation?

As a matter of convenience I have created an application that outputs my data in a pseudo-XML format.  This seemed to allow for fully accurate persistance of Timestamp data:  Labview was able to correctly read the XML converted timestamp back into a Timestamp datatype, and it was the same value I had originally started with (sweet).  A clip of the XML output is the following:
<Timestamp>
     <Name>Time</Name>
     <Cluster>
          <Name></Name>
          <NumElts>4</NumElts>
          <I32>
               <Name></Name>
               <Val>0</Val>
          </I32>
          <I32>
               <Name></Name>
               <Val>180387840</Val>
          </I32>
          <I32>
               <Name></Name>
               <Val>-1047981475</Val>
          </I32>
          <I32>
               <Name></Name>
               <Val>0</Val>
          </I32>
     </Cluster>
</Timestamp>

Clearly, the data is held in the four I32's.  I specifically need to know how these four values are converted into the number of seconds since 1/1/1904 for post-processing purposes.  While I am aware that I could have potentially saved the timestamp data as a more usable datatype originally, I am now well beyond the point of no return.  If anyone could provide the algorithm for this, I'd sincerely appreciate it (not how Labview black-boxes it: how labview actually calculates it).  As near as I can tell, the values are some sort of double representation of the seconds since t0, but I always end up about 4 orders of magnitude too short following this guess.

Cheers!

NB:  Data was converted to XML on LV7.0.  The ToXML VI was responsible for the converstion.  It is sucessfully reconverted to an accurate Timestamp using the FromXML VI and the Timestamp datatype.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,165 Views)

You are correct that an LV timestamp is a DBL of the number of seconds since t0, but whoever wrote the XML primitives seems to have made a confusing choice.

If you open the LV Data representation white paper (should be availble in Help>>Search the LabVIEW Bookshelf), you will see that the actual format of a timestamp is indeed 4 32 bit integers, with 2 of those integers as the seconds and the other 2 as the fractional part.

What it doesn't say is that those numbers should apparently be U32 (I think that only in LV 8 they started allowing negative times).
If you typecast these 4 I32s to U32 then you should have the third and fourth element as your number of seconds since 1904 (or just the third for now, since I don't think the fourth will be relevant for 30 years or so). The XML primitive saves it as an I32 which does make it confusing.

I have figured "most" of it out.  At least for practical purposes.  I'll leave the actual consideration of the numberical conversions up to those who are more familiar with working in bytes for calculations.  The XML snippet above was generated by the LV7.0 Express built in "Flatten to XML" VI.  I have inferred the following about the above, and for ease of notation, we will consider each of the above integer values as W, X, Y, and Z, in that order from top to bottom.

The flatten to XML has taken what are two 64 bit Integers and artifically cut them into four 32 bit Integers.  W and X are derived from the Fractional Component of the number of seconds from 1/1/1904.  Y and Z are derived from the Integer number of seconds from 1/1/1904.  Z is never accessed under normal circumstances since the timestamp constant in this version of labview maxes out in 2038, and is thus always 0.

If each integer is converted to its 32 bit representation, we can then denote the 32 digit bit representation as Wb and Xb, etc...  It is important to recognise that the sign of the Integer representation will become a 1 or 0 in the bit representation.  The representations are then concatenated as follows (order of operation is important):

Xb & Wb = Ab , The Fractional component of seconds in 64 bit representation (not directly equal to a fractional component though, we still need to do some more)

Zb & Yb = Bb, The Integer component of seconds (as above for Ab).

We then must take both components and independently convert each to base 10 integers, represented by Ad and Bd

Ab ---> Ad

Bb --->Bd

Dealing with the integer seconds component (now as a base 10 integer), the number of whole seconds since 1/1/1904 00:00:00 is given by

Bd - 28800 = #of integer seconds from base time.

I don't know where that offset comes from, but it represents about 8 hours before allowed times, even though LV timestamps don't handle that.

The fractional component (as a base 10 decimal) is now given approximately (at least 10 digits of precision) by

Ad * 5.421010862*10^-20 = Fractional Seconds

I expect that the conversion factor has something to do with the base unit of bite, but I sure can't figure it out.  Anyway, this is how it works.

They've probably fixed/made sense of this in newer versions of LV, but I ain't got that so tough luck for me.

Cheers,

D

Message 3 of 7
(6,145 Views)
Hi,

I think the eight hour come from your local timezone! Check also the DST settings!
And your conversion factor is just 2^(-64) or the amount of time for 1 bit, so for better accuracy you might use this number!

Ton

Message Edited by TonP on 11-27-2006 09:34 AM

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,141 Views)
TonP is correct.  The timestamp is always GMT, but LabVIEW will format it depending on the timezone of your local machine.  It appears you figured out most of it.  The timestamp is a signed 128 bit fixed point number with 64 bits each decimal and fraction.

The easiest way to convert the four 32 bit values to a timestamp is to cluster them in high to low order, then do a type cast to the timestamp (see graphic).  Make sure you use the same format as the numbers were saved (I32 in this case).

Note that converting to a double will lose over half your precision (128 bits down to 52).  This is why the timestamp datatype was invented in the first place.  If you don't need better than about millisecond resolution, you are probably OK.

Message Edited by DFGray on 11-27-2006 09:20 AM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,123 Views)

Here is a VI that extracts the 'Timestamp' section of XML and outputs a LabVIEW timestamp...

LabVIEW 2018...if you have earlier labVIEW here is a screen shot of the code diagram...XML timestamp to time.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,317 Views)

Here's my RegEx based solution (in a similar spirit to Jack Hamilton's, above).

Configuration UI.lvlib_Unflatten Timestamp String.png

I'm using a match for "Cluster\d" because I'm using this with a library I'm writing in which I number cluster pairs to allow matching starts and ends of nested clusters with greedy regexps.

Line end constants have already been removed when I reach this VI, so I've placed optional non-submatching groups for the line ends produced by Flatten to XML (this is the (?:[\r\n]*) that repeatedly appears).

I added a * (rather than +) to allow it to work with the standard "<Cluster>...</Cluster>" tags (the backref for \1 is why I needed to make the first pattern match, and use subgroups 2-5 for the timestamp).

Of course, the Format to String at the end can be modified to allow whatever output time-string you like.

The attached VI is backsaved to 2015 (although I don't know if the PCRE library version changes between LabVIEW versions, and this wasn't tested in 2015).

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,035 Views)