LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing Values To Front Panel Controls (Most Efficient Method)

@rolfk wrote:

What is obfuscating in using terminals whenever possible and eventually local variables if unavoidable? Smiley Very Happy

Nothing, but burying references in subVIs so deep that your main reason for using them is you don't want to pass data up through the terminals is.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 33
(504 Views)

@GregFreeman wrote:

@rolfk wrote:

What is obfuscating in using terminals whenever possible and eventually local variables if unavoidable? Smiley Very Happy

Nothing, but burying references in subVIs so deep that your main reason for using them is you don't want to pass data up through the terminals is.

I agree! Using UI refences for doing things to the UI outside of the actual GUI VI (except smaller helper functions that encapsulate common functionality but never over many subVI levels deep) is always an indication that one is doing something fundamentally wrong.

But the benchmark was correctly showing the terminal and local variable to be by far the top performing solutions. So anyone who is a bit performance wary will hopefully think several times now before using value properties (or shared variables).

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 32 of 33
(494 Views)

rolfk wrote:  So anyone who is a bit performance wary will hopefully think several times now before using value properties (or shared variables).

I sure hope so.  You are talking about one of my major pet peeves.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 33
(467 Views)