LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write string to file

Hi,

I have been looking around in this forum for similiar threads about writing to files and also tried a few of the examples in Labview 7.1.
Unfortunatly, my beginners experience is not enough for making any thing useful of the above mentioned.

My question; I have an app. that is sending a string, build up from combinations of strings to a device over RS-232. The strings is received fine and everything works. But I would like to read the settings in the device to a file on the computer so that I later can download the settings. Therefore I am wondering what would be the best solution for taking in a string and save it to a file;

The string that is presenting the settings, is recieved (after a sent command of #1KI01 for channel 1) in a format of  #1KI010000327683000, where I would like to extract #1KI in the beginning and then save the rest to a file. After that, I send another command (#1KI02 for channel 2)  which gives the string for ch. 2 and so on.

When I read it back, it must be in string form in the format as recived, but with SK instead of KI inserted.

The best would be to save it to an *.txt file, but I am not sure how to get it working, my efforts gets me stuck on what VISA to use, write to file, write to spreadsheet or write chars to file , and is the preferable way in Labview to work with data like this, to convert the strings into an array?( newbie problem Smiley Happy )

Any hints on getting started would be appreciated, the course in December is just to far away right now...

Many thankful regards
Beagles

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,333 Views)

This on is free to get you start.  Try looking in LabVIEW -> Help -> Find Example.  Many good starter programs are there.

Matt

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,317 Views)