LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write AVI file with XVID codec in Labview

Hi,

I want to record a video in Labview and I want to use the Xvid codec.

I've downloaded the xvid codec from here: https://www.xvid.com/download/

However, xvid is not listed in the available codecs, by the "list available encoder" function of Labview.

Even stranger, if I use the Ni vision express VI to make the acquisition and the recording, Xvid Mpeg 4 can be found in the droplist where I select the encoder! But If I select Xvid, when I want to run the express vi, it tells me that the Xvid codec could not be found....

===> So how do I make the XVID codec available in Labview?

Thanks,

peper

Message 1 of 14
(8,468 Views)

hi,

why is it import for you to use this specific codec for you videos?

Anyway, according to this link : AVI Codec Support with AVI2 in NI Vision Products

"Through AVI2, on Windows any codec that is compatible with Microsoft's Video Compression Manager is available to the user. This means that the codecs recognized by Windows are recognized by NI Vision products as well."

So I would suggest you call NI Technical support, report your issue and ask for it to be escalated to the Vision support engineers.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(8,416 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for yours answer. I'm recroding the avi file on a not so powerful computer (Atom) and i'm trying to find the best ratio between compression speed and file size.

According to the different tests I made, it seems that the XVID codec is the best in this area.

peper2001

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(8,408 Views)

Hello peper,

Have you already called in to the support departement?

(check ni.com/ask)

Are you able to read/play in AVIs that use this codec in LabVIEW? (see "Read AVI.vi" example in the Example Finder)

Can you also verify if the "AVI Codec Comparison.vi" example from the NI Example Finder lists the codec and tests it?

PS: Which version of NI LabVIEW are you using?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(8,389 Views)

Hello Peper,

Are there any updates?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(8,360 Views)

Hi,

I have not filled the complain to the NI support service because I'm a little bit in a rush for the moment.

What I can say is that it works by directly typing "Xvid MPEG-4 Codec" in the codec name eventhough it doesn't show up in the list of recognized codec. For now, I can live with that.

When I'll have the time, I'll check with the previous Imaq function (the ones not listing the Ni vision specific codec).

I'll let you know.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(8,358 Views)

Hello peper,

Thanks for the feedback!

The reasons I asked for those tests and LabVIEW version is, because it did show up in my list and I could also see and use it correctly (without issues) in the shipping examples.

PS: NI Support can also be used for questions (aside from complaints). 😉

Kind Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(8,353 Views)

With the IMAQ2 versions or with the old IMAQ version?

I'm using Labview 2013 SP1 and Vision dev module 2013 SP1.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(8,348 Views)

Hello peper,

Are you referring to the AVI and AVI2 IMAQ VIs that are available?

I am using the AVI2 versions as defined in the "AVI Codec Comparison" Shipping Example.

If you're wondering what the difference between AVI Type 1 and AVI Type 2 is, then the following page might be useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Video_Interleave

Most likely you were already aware of this.

Kind Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(8,340 Views)

Good Morning,

With LV2012 + Vision 2013SP1 (AVI) + Xvid 1.3.3, I've the same problem.

Xvid MPEG-4 Codec unknown.

Best regards.

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(8,187 Views)