LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Within the Measurement & Automation Explorer I can create Visa Aliases for my GPIB instruments which I can use as the resource name to the VISA Open VI. eg using DMM1 instead of GPIB::9::INSTR.

Hello Dan,

I want to change the aliases in VISA layer. The reason i want to change the aliases is when i am communicating through the serial ports, my instrument address is different from the one stores in the NI MAX software. 

For example while i am communicating through serial port, my generated address is ASRL4::INSTR for COM 4 and the address stored in NI MAX software is  COM 4 for ASRL6::INSTR and for COM 3 it has ASRL4::INSTR

So can you please tell me are there any vi functions to rename the aliases. I am using the MAX version 4.6

Awaiting your replies.

Reagrds,

Ketan

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,184 Views)

Did you try editing the visaconfig.ini file as mentioned in this thread?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(1,179 Views)

Hello Bill,

I do not want to do that manually. Is there any way to reset or change the visaconf.ini file programmatically?

Ketan

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(1,169 Views)

@ketan121 wrote:

Hello Bill,

I do not want to do that manually. Is there any way to reset or change the visaconf.ini file programmatically?

Ketan

Did you actually read anything in this thread?  It shows exactly how to do this.  Unfortunately, no one ever reported back whether this actually works or not.  Maybe you could be the guinea pig - errr superstar - that puts all those theories to the test?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(1,160 Views)

I have tried making the connection through the one suggested in the document, but that is not the answer I am looking for. Is there any other way to erase the file completely through any of the VISA functions or events?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,149 Views)

Sorry, what I meant is, did you read Dennis' post about using the config file VIs?  Unfortunately this is a relatively unexplored path.  The reason is that usually you would usually bring along the visaconf.ini that accurately describes the hardware as named in your application.  What I normally do if I am coding offline is to grab the visaconf.ini file from the target and use that to devlop with.  Testers should be built identically, really - same cards (same revisions!) in the same slots in the same make/model of PC with the same OS updated to the same levels.  Check that the hardware maps the same in devoce manager and in MAX.  It's far easier to have them conforming at the beginning than it is to configure them at runtime...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 16 of 17
(1,135 Views)
Maybe its an old theard bu still relvant.
I just tried this solution and it worked.
Also you can use Configuration File VIs that built for handling ini files.
Thank you for the solution
אור הירשפלד
Or Hirshfeld
Application Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer
SK- Electronika
+972-545844555
Or.Hirshfeld@SK-Advanced.com
il.linkedin.com/in/orhirshfeld
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(987 Views)