From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Embedded Standard 7 - database toolkit compatible?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am looking at the TPC-2212 and the option of WES7 for an OS and wondering if it will be able to utilize the database toolkit?

Thank you.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,611 Views)

Adding a TPC-2212 target in a LV2012 project and installing a "new" TPC-2212 as a remote target with the WES7 OS and adding a VI to the target, I can see that the Database toolkit is active under the Connectivity Palette - this leads me to believe it is supported - just want to verify.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,605 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RVallieu

After further digging and search terminology refinment I found my answer here: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/13047/en

4. Do I Need to Directly Connect to a Database From My System?

WES7 supports data logging to a database via the LabVIEW DSC Module. Database logging with LabVIEW DSC was specifically designed for easy configuration and operation. It can easily connect and log directly to many common relational databases such as Oracle, mySQL, and Microsoft SQL. LabVIEW DSC also includes its own integrated database, Citadel, optimized for efficient long-term logging.

WES7 also works with the LabVIEW Database Connectivity Toolkit, which allows more customized creation, querying, and retrieval of data from any provider that adheres to the Microsoft AciveX Data Object (ADO), OPC database connectivity (ODBC), or object linking and embedding database (OLE DB) standard. Similar to LabVIEW DSC, the Database Connectivity Toolkit supports communication to common databases such as Oracle and Microsoft SQL.

Like OPC, many common database communication methods are based on Windows technologies such as ActiveX. Because of this, the LabVIEW Database Connectivity Toolkit does not work in LabVIEW Real-Time applications.

Learn more about data-logging options with LabVIEW DSC.

Database connectivity is still possible using LabVIEW Real-Time, but an intermediate Windows host computer must be used; similar to the method employed to achieve OPC communication, as well as HMI capabilities from LabVIEW Real-Time. Standard communication methods such as TCP, UDP, and LabVIEW shared variables are used to communicate with this separate Windows host computer.

Learn more about communicating with relational databases in LabVIEW Real-Time.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,580 Views)

Hey Ryan, How goes things?

Concerning CItadel, there are a couple things that you need to remember. There are two part of the Citadel functionality that NI ships. The Citadel core is a nonrelational database. The relational part of Citadel is actually an instance of the free version of MS SQL Server.

Also, using the LV Database Connectivity Toolkit is ultimately counter-productive in that it limits your support options - and that's not to mention all the problems it can cause itself. Check here for a discussion of some of the issues.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,572 Views)

Hey Mike - things are going well out here in Pittsburgh.  Hope you and your family are doing well!

Thanks for the recommendations.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,556 Views)

the white paper was removed, are you keep any copy of this information? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,940 Views)

Lino22B,

It looks like the white paper that was referenced was a list of considerations for choosing between LabVIEW Real-Time and Windows Embedded 7 operating systems. The white paper was removed a while ago and I haven't been able to determine where that information was migrated. If you have a specific question that you think the white paper would have answered, feel free to create a new thread for that question. New threads get much more visibility within the community than posting on one from 4 years ago.

-elcalverado

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,923 Views)