From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window pops up while navigating an Activex Web Browser

I have exhausted my resources and brain trying to figure this out, reaching out for help now.

I have built a program that captures velocities and pressures from a group of bullets fired from a test barrel (thanks to others here who helped me get this far!).  After results are gathered it is autosaved and printed.  Then I send it to my boss who maually data-entries it on our online database.  He wants to automate this process.  I have planned out to save the the data to a file which will later be loaded and the entries will plug into the online database (which I have 80% working, no issues there). 

My problem resides here:  I built another program that loads up an Activex Web browser of our database, logs in, and navigates to the page where I can submit all of the data values.  This works.  But there are two drop-down menus on this page which are programmed to refresh when changed.  Here is the HTML code from our page:

refresh.JPG

What happens in Labview when I use these drop-down menus is a new actual Web Browser window pops up and says "Refresh Complete."  I'd rather there not be any pages pop up, I am trying to streamline this as much as possible.  I will be checking this post frequently and can supplement more information as needed.  Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,674 Views)
I would question why you are using a browser to enter data instead of writing directly to the database? There is the Database Connectivity Toolkit and free options. What is the database you are using?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,657 Views)

Thanks for your quick response yesterday!  After chatting with our official IT guy, He lined some things out for me.  We are using SQL 2005.  We discussed working up a program to add our data directly, which is an option.  It will take some learning on my part, and I am willing to do it. 

It would be optimal, in my mind, to use our web version in conjunction with Labview.  But the more experienced person might know better.

When I call up our webpage on the front panel, I am able to navigate it by clicking around just like a normal browser.  Using this method, the refresh issue I mentioned in my original post is not a problem.  It refreshes with no pop-up.  BUT I lose the capability to place my data into the fields.  I am assuming the reference at the property node before the data placement is incorrect. (pictured below)Capture.JPG

Is there a way to physically navigate a webpage and then use Labview to find the reference of whatever page I am currently on in order to place my data?  This might be the route I need to go.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,620 Views)
You would be able to write much faster to the db if you used one of the toolkits. The toolkits use the Microsoft ado functions so you just use the sql commands directly instead of trying to control a web app that in turn has to generate the same sql. The basic sql commands (i.e. INSERT, SELECT) are easy to learn, in my opinion.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,611 Views)

I have started looking into SQL (which will take some time to write up somethign new) but would still like to know about my original question:

If I phsyically navigate a few buttons within the Browser in Labview, am I able to find the reference of my current page in order to place the data on that page?  As of now when I navigate to my needed page, the data entry doesn't work because the reference is incorrect.  But if I go straight to the URL of my needed page, I CAN place the data, but this causes the refresh issue to crop up.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,556 Views)
I understand your concerns, but doing this through a web interface will take much, much, much longer. Talking directly to a database is very easy, plus you have the IT guy working with you, leverage his expertise.

Check here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Extracting-one-column-from-Database/m-p/547276#M257531

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,534 Views)