LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will LabVIEW 2020 Convert my LabVIEW 7.1 vis

Solved!
Go to solution

Will the LabVIEW 2020 convert my LabVIEW 7.1 vis?  If not, what are my options for conversion other than redoing them from scratch in LabVIEW 2020.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,095 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author chumpy45

Versions of LabVIEW later than the code you open them in will automatically upconvert them.  There can be issues if your old code uses packages that have been substantially updated (like Traditional DAQ to DAQmx).

Just be sure you have backed up (or use Version Control!) to keep the old copy safe until you're sure the upconvert was successful.  Note that if you save the new file LabVIEW will NOT prompt you to choose a new name and will overwrite the old version!

There is also a Version Conversion board to help you.  Especially if you need to downconvert past the File > Save for Previous Version... option.

Version Conversion - NI Community

It's also a good idea to search for "Labview Compatibility" to see the charts that show you which versions of LabVIEW, Window, DAQ, etc. can work with each other.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,066 Views)
Solution

As you can see in this document, all LabVIEW versions after 6.0 can open any VI between 6.0 and their own version.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,050 Views)
Solution

See here: How to Upgrade or Revert a VI to a Different Version of LabVIEW 

According to that chart, you can open VIs saved as far back as LabVIEW 6.0.  But as already stated, you will likely have other issues due to drivers (Traditional DAQ vs. DAQmx likely being the biggest issue) and so many libraries that have changed over the 15+ years (7.1 to 8.0 had some MAJOR changes).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,045 Views)