LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does a strictly Typed Control cause error 1082

I have a main VI which has strictly typed clusters for user control. I load a subVI into a subpanel within the main VI. When I run the Main VI, everthing works fine until I change a value within the one of the strictly typed clusters. I get an Error 1082 for the subVI. None of the strictyly typed clusters are in the SubVI.

If I do not load the SubVI, changing the values in the strictly typed cluster produces no error.

Any help on what might be the problem here?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,200 Views)
Hello,

I think a similar issue has already been reported to our Research and Development department, and they are currently working on it. Could you post your code so that I can make sure this is the same issue that has been reported?

I can also take a look at your code and see if I can find a workaround for you. The important thing here is to have the Main VI, the sub VI and the strictly typedef�ed control.

Thanks,
Ken S.
National Instruments
Message 2 of 8
(5,200 Views)
Ken...Thanks for the quick response. The work around that I found is to disconnect the control from the strictly typed. Once I do this, the Main VI and the SubVI work harmoneously.

Rather sending you the actual code on which I was working, I was going to create a simple case of the above. I used one of the strictly typed controls and a subpanel (and inserted a simple SubVI). When I ran the MainVI and changed the value of a strictly typed control within the strictly typed cluster, I got the 1082 error. The error pointed me to a Waveform Graph property node in the application from which this problem originally came (it just happened to be running). This particular VI was the SubVI inserted into the subpanel in the original application. When I stopped t
his VI (but still in memory), the mockup application worked fine. The mockup also worked when I put a case statement around the waveform property node in the original running VI (essentially it was switched it out of the program).

How does a waveform property node interfere with a strictly typed cluster control (having strictly typed controls within it)when there is no relationship between the two???
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,200 Views)
Hello,

I�m glad to hear you found a workaround for this issue.

There is nothing you have done wrong in your program to cause this. There doesn�t have to be any relationship between the strictly typed VI and the VI which is throwing the error. The error can actually be replicated by two independently running VIs.

Our R&D engineers are currently working on this issue.

Ken S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,200 Views)

Ken S. 

15 years after NI is still working on it? 

I'm having the same problem. If I change the strictly typed def to a type def the VI works properly, otherwise I get the 1082 error. 

Message 5 of 8
(3,229 Views)

Yeah, I'm seeing the same problem on LabVIEW 2017 ; )

Certified LabVIEW Developer
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,117 Views)

I'm pretty sure you can't modify a Strict Type Def... Not 100% positive, but I just had this happen and that's what occurs to me.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,902 Views)

For whatever reason, it will throw the error on NXG despite the Strict TypeDef vs TypeDef setting in part of a cluster. Changing it to a ring in the cluster works if set to TypeDef.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,532 Views)