From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't this VI become a SubVI?

Hi

This led chaser VI is required to be used multiple times but I cannot make it into a SubVI.

The led switches on to chases to the end & more to create a delay Then returns by switching them off.

It works as a VI but not as aSubVI.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,650 Views)

noneqwerty wrote:

It works as a VI but not as aSubVI.

I guess I have no idea what you mean by that. 😮

• If you want to call it as a subVI and actually see something interesting, you might want to set the windows option to show the front panel when called and close it when done.
  • If you want to call it multiple times in parallel, you need to make it reentrant.

What's the purpose of the OK button? Seems pretty useless. 😉

Why is your shift register orange. Make it the right datatype (blue!).

You should initialize the boolean shift regsiter too.

Message Edited by altenbach on 05-29-2009 05:48 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,645 Views)

Hi

The led chases to the right & back to the left when the OK button is pressed then stops.

Thats what I mean.

The switch is for simulation. I want to press a switch to trigger the leds.

Because I want to use this 4 times in the project simulation It is best to make it into a subVI. It fails as a subVI.

If I bring it into a new VI it fails to run.

Dont know why it changed to orange. What should I look for?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,640 Views)

Well, it seems that you just started to learn programming in LabVIEW, so let's make a few things clear.

• It seems you are using the "continuous run" button th run the VI. This is a debugging tool and no reasonable way to run a VI.
  • You button is set to latch action, so as soon as the subVI is called, it will finish. No way to press the button.
  • You know from the beginning how many iterations the loop will take, thus a FOR loop is the correct structure
  • Your wire is orange because you have a floating point number wired to it. The code demands an integer, so simply change the representation of your diagram constant.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,635 Views)