Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which module/card is needed?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,
 please let me know what module is needed to receive signal from the following:
1. Position sensor, Magnetrostrictive Position sensors, Temposonics-RD4, measuring range 25-5000mmm for hydraulic cylinder
2. Linear Encoder, not identified

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,490 Views)

For us to help you, you need to provide more information.

What kinds of outputs do your transducers have? Analog, digital, RS-232, other?

There are many ways a linear encoder can work, so there may be many ways to get its output to a computer.  A quick search for the RD4 did not turn up anything useful.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,485 Views)

Hello Lynn,

Thanks for the message.

I am using PXI 8108, NI PXI-6251, DAQ and PXI-5105.

I think 6251 has the features to read the position sensors and encoders, but not sure?

I found the shipping example, please see the attached file. But I do not know how can I use it?

I need some basic knowledge how to handle the position measurement?

Actually I am confused do I need to buy some additional toolkit like Nisoftmotion or some counter module.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,480 Views)

Hello Lynn,

Thanks for the message.

I am using PXI 8108, NI PXI-6251, DAQ and PXI-5105.

I think 6251 has the features to read the position sensors and encoders, but not sure?

I found the shipping example, please see the attached file. But I do not know how can I use it?

I need some basic knowledge how to handle the position measurement?

Actually I am confused do I need to buy some additional toolkit like Nisoftmotion or some counter module.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,480 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author KRAZE4LV

The VI you posted is designed to work with quadrature encoders with logic level outputs.  If your linear encoder has outputs in that format, it should work.

The position transducer has a 10 V output.  Use any analog input device with a 10 V input range to read your position.  The 6251 should be fine for this.  Once you have the voltage you need to scale it to represent the distance.  The transducer appears to be linear so you can probably use a y = m*x+b linear scaling.  If your reference position is y = 0, you may only need the slope scaling.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,477 Views)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,471 Views)