LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which LabVIEW 2011 system to buy?

I am looking to buy LabVIEW 2011 but don't know which level to buy. I am just getting it to run a program, that was already written, that corresponds with an Instron Stress Machine. If you need to see the program to tell the minimum version of 2011 it will run on, I can attach it to a post.

Thanks for your help,

Will Huntley

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,068 Views)

Will you need to make an executable or installers for your program? If yes you will need at least Full Dev System otherwise maybe the base (cheapest) will be enough. 

But I suggest you contact your local NI sales rep and gives him all the details of your app so he can advise for the best solution for you.

Hope this helps

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,061 Views)

Will,

executing existing (compiled) code requires the RunTime Engine (RTE) which is free of charge.

But you will not get it to execute the code if it is still in VI form.

So you have two options:

a) get the finished code in the form of an executable (EXE). This requires the application builder for the person creating the EXE for you.

b) get a development version of LV in order to execute the VI form.

It seems that you are looking for option b) currently and you are correct that there are three different setups available. In order to compare those, please look there. Please see the green LED comparison table.

So as a short summary:

- You will be able to execute existing LV VI's using the Base Development Package even if the code includes certain components not part of this package (e.g. event structure/scripting). Note: You will probably not be able to run code using functions from LV modules/toolkits though (e.g. MathScript RT).

- You will not be able to modify certain components of the code if they are not part of the selected package. E.g. LV 2011 Base Development Package won't let you modify content of event structures (if included in the code).

- The application will possibly require more than just LV to run (driver, toolkits, ...). Many drivers are available for free, but there are also drivers/components requiring license costs.

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,056 Views)