From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is LabVIEW Searching for .rc Files?

Where is LV searching for .rc files? These are configuration files used to store property node information and refnum data for IVI drivers.

If a driver's wrapper VIs are installed in the standard location (instr.lib\prefix), the prefix.rc file is in that directory right next to the LLB. What if the driver is not installed in that location? How can you tell it where to look for the .rc file? It doesn't seem to look in the same directory as the LLB.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,015 Views)

Well, I don't (deliberately) install IVI drivers, although I do install DAQmx, Vision (IMAQdx), VISA, and Serial drivers.  On my Windows 10 x64 machine with LabVIEW 32-bit, I searched in Program Files (x86)\National Instruments and found .rc files in several places.  Most are in \objmgr folders (\LabVIEW 2016\resource\, \SHARED\LabVIEW Run-Time\2016\, etc.), one was in \MAX\Assistants\mxwDataTypes, and one in \LabVIEW 2016\instr.lib\niSync\.  I didn't look in other folders.

Bob Schor

P.S. -- I realize I'm not directly answering your question, which is "Where is LabVIEW Searching for .rc Files?".  Instead, I'm telling you where LabVIEW would find them on my system, in other words, where it should be searching.  Not exactly the same thing, but maybe it is a partial answer ...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,959 Views)

Example for LabVIEW 2023:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2023\resource\objmgr

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(469 Views)

Steffen01_0-1699929099774.png

does it asking for a file name, then you could search for it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(456 Views)

@TedJones wrote:

Example for LabVIEW 2023:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2023\resource\objmgr

That's technically correct, as it is where LabVIEW will search for them, but I believe that IVI and other drivers also can have such files which can end up in the folder for the specific driver. But I don't think it per se searches for them there, but simply expects them there alongside the according driver.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(440 Views)

Thank you all for your answers. Everything said here is true. It's been a while since I posted this question, but I think the purpose was to figure out how to make LV find an .rc file for an IVI driver not installed in the standard location.

It is probably true that many LV-related .rc files end up in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2019\resource\objmgr, but for IVI drivers they reside in their respective (source) directories like for instance:

C:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\IVI\Drivers\TkFgen70k\Source\TekFgen70k.rc

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(409 Views)